Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 23, 2014, 11:24:16 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreYour experiences (Moderator: HireScoresMark)Tesco Will Do More Than Ever To Attract Working Mothers
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Tesco Will Do More Than Ever To Attract Working Mothers  (Read 3390 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: July 09, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »

Tesco has calculated 20% of the 10,000 jobs it plans to create in 2009 will go to working mothers.

The retailer announced it will do "more than ever" to recruit working mothers by offering more flexible and part time working options and employee benefits including childcare vouchers and shopping discounts.

Lorna Bryson, head of resourcing for UK Operations at Tesco, said: "As the largest private sector employer in the UK, we pride ourselves on being able to offer our employees the best working conditions to suit their needs, by offering both full time and part time roles.  By offering extensive part time and flexible working options at all levels, from the board to the shop floor, we hope to make it as easy as possible for mothers to fit their work life around their personal circumstances.   

"Our benefits package on top of this is our way of giving something back to mothers that work for us, by helping them to save money on fun family trips as well as extensive benefits through schemes such as the childcare voucher option - which, like all of our family related benefits, is available to all parents.  We hope that these savings combined go some way to meet the financial commitments involved with bringing up children."

Tesco currently employs 48,000 mothers and estimates 36,730 work part time.
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »

This seems very sensible. I don't want to sound "ageist" but I would imagine that older people (though Mothers are not automatically older of course) would be perhaps more committed and less likely to full a "sickie".

Discuss?

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:35:15 PM »

Not much to say on this but I agree.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »

I would have thought that if somebody takes time out of work to start or raise a family and then looks at getting back into the employment market that a job would be very precious and important to them. My lovely wife works at Tesco and some of the stories about "younger" members of staff would make your hair stand on end. Not literally but you get the point hopefully.

Gota
having fun

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »

The title working Mothers seems a little sexist though? How about working Fathers? Or is it making an assumption that Mothers are also house wives? Is that what they mean? People who used to work but are now house wives?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 01:43:11 PM »

I'd not thought of this. I don't know if working Mothers is sexist but it reminds me almost of a discussion we were having a few days ago about affirmative action. I guess Fathers For Justice (remember them climbing Big Ben in a Batman suit a few years ago?) might have something to say about it. I doubt they are excluding working Fathers really though.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:10:55 PM »

Were they also the people that threw purple powder at Blair and at first they thought it was a terrorist attack but it was really just a publicity stunt? Can anybody remember that?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »

I remember that. I'm a political junkie and never miss Prime Minister's questions. I think Fathers For Justice were protesting something that was being debated by the Commons that day - hence the stunt. I may have remembered that wrongly though. It could have just been a generic publicity stunt to bring awareness to their cause.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »

I understand why Mothers so often are favoured by the courts in cases of separation or divorce but I don't think it's fair. A Father's bond to his children can be just as strong as a Mothers.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 12:10:20 PM »

I'm not sure I would have thought that a Mothers bond is stronger being that she carried the baby. I don't have any kids though so am just sharing an opinion.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »

Nobody will ever know honestly. How can you judge a bond like that?
Gota
having fun

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »

However much a man feels part of his Child it surely can't be the same as carrying the baby for nine months. And I say this as a Father.
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 02:52:28 PM »

I think honestly, nobody will ever know.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace