Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 24, 2014, 02:00:10 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Are there any jobs that are recession proof?
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Are there any jobs that are recession proof?  (Read 3284 times)
Spinner
liking it

« on: June 11, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »

I've been seeing many people losing their job recently and was wondering is there any jobs that are recession proof? 
Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »

I was just discussing in another strand about the Job Centre. It sounds almost flippant but a job in the Job Centre is probably pretty recession proof. I guess Doctors as well but that may not be the case if the health service faces cuts.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »

Dustbin men/women must be a recession proof job? People always are going to have rubbish.
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »

I think teaching is pretty recession proof, I know quite a few teachers and I haven't heard of any schools having to cut back on teaching staff. Also the fire service, a friend is a fireman and he says that rather than firing people, they're just not replacing the ones that are retiring.
Betty
liking it

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 04:51:30 PM »

When the economy is bad, the government usually cuts government jobs.  These include police, firemen and public school teachers.  They don't want to do this, but when money is scarce many government held positions and government programs feel the pain.
Spinner
liking it

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 07:23:14 PM »

I'm beginning to think that any career related to health care is recession proof.  People get sick all the time and someone needs to be there to help care for them.

In fact, aren't people living longer now adays?  Shouldn't that be a signal that as people age, they will need more care?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »

I agree. Especially at the moment no UK Government is going to cut funding to the health service as it's more than there bread and butter is worth. Whatever that means.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:56:18 PM »

Speaking of health care, there has been a lot of talk here in the U.S. of President Obama starting a new health care plan to get affordable health insurance for everyone.  Right now there are 90 million people without health insurance which is one-third of the population.

When my sister was out of work, she had no health insurance so she decided to pay for it herself, but when she found out how expensive it was, she decided to go without.  That's a big problem for people like her in the U.S.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 02:17:23 PM »

I wonder if he'll get his ideas passed. I hope so.

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »

I was reading about that the other day in the paper. Apparently a few presidents have tried to pass it through before with no success. The problem it that there are loads of massive companies that make lots of money from the private health care system who will obviously object. I hope he gets it through though, go Obama!
Tomtom
settling in

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »

I have heard about Obama's new health care plan, but i don't know any of the details.  Is anyone here following it?  How is the plan suppose to cover everyone?  Are my taxes going to increase if this plan is passed?
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »

I don't know much about it but on the news a few nights ago it said that the Government would help people pay for health insurance if they didn't want it from their employer.
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 06:27:41 PM »

Any time the government gets involved, expect your taxes to go up.  Of course, they will not tell you right away, but over time as the demand for money comes in, the government will have no choice but to tax the public. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 11:58:09 PM »

True.

Spinner
liking it

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »

Health insurance is such a necessity these days.  It's terrible that it's so expensive.  Why does the cost for insurance keep going up?  Isn't there a way to control it?
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace