Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 24, 2014, 09:28:34 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Lack Of Women In IT Does Matter
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Lack Of Women In IT Does Matter  (Read 3578 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: May 30, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »

If there were more women working in the IT industry it could be more productive as males and females work better collectively, it has been claimed.

In the opinion of Kate Craig-Wood, managing director of Memset, men and women have different skills and strengths, meaning that they are most effective when combined.

Speaking at the Intellect Annual Regent Conference 2009, she added that the gender pay gap is also greater in the IT industry, as it stands at 23 per cent while the national average is 13 per cent.

'I think absolutely [the lack of women working in the IT industry] does matter,' Ms Craig-Wood said, before adding 'it's just not very nice working in an office that's full of guys and is very male-centric'.

A spokesperson for ClickAJob points out that gender is a major part of satisfying the culture issue.

'It's hardly fair to expect brilliance and perfection if you're surrounded by lager and football and your world is something else entirely,' he says.

'Employees need to feel at home, not like foreigners in their own workplace, no matter how polite their colleagues are.'

'Sure, there's synergy in men and women working together, but like every combination it's essential to have a balance,' he concludes.

A recent survey conducted by wtech-event.co.uk, discovered that over 50 per cent of women working in the IT industry intend to ask for a pay rise this year.
Report to moderator   Logged

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:19:26 PM »

Women and men doing the same job in any field should have equal pay.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »

Labour apparently brought in a new law a few weeks ago that if a female doing the same job as a man within the same company is on a lower pay grade than her male counterpart she's entitled to know about it. I don't know how that works in practice but it seems like a great thing. It wasn't reported in the media too widely because it's something good and positive that the Government has done and they only like to report the negative and sleazy things some members of Parliament do. Shame.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »

I haven't heard anything about this?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »

I heard it reported very briefly on the BBC news two or three weeks ago. It was just before the whole "Expense Gate" kicked off but still they skimmed over this rather positive event in perhaps 20 seconds.

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 01:41:27 PM »

I think a lack of women in IT does matter if they're being discriminated against for being women. However, the small amount of women in IT jobs may, to some degree, reflect the smaller proportion of female undergraduates in computer related degrees. I think this comes into the boundaries of the positive discrimination issue. Yes women should be paid equally for a job they are doing as well as their male co-worker. However, is it right to give a woman a job over a male who is more qualified, purely to even out the gender ratios. Probably not.
As a side note, is it really fair to stereotype men as only interested in "football and larger"?
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »

It isn't fair to stereotype men this way. It seems more acceptable than stereotyping women as over emotional and "catty". Feminists should be sticking up for men these days.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:46:44 PM »

I dunno there was a woman on The Apprentice last night who said offices full of women tend to be emotional and gossipy. Discuss?
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:38:25 PM »

That's probably true, but I think that all offices can be gossipy, regardless of gender. In fact, any collection of people that meet on a regular basis within an enclosed environment can become gossipy so to single out women in office is unfair. I don't think that this should be a reason not for hiring someone.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »

Men can be just as "gossipy" as anybody. I don't really go for these general stereotypes myself. I just don't think they help in a real world full of real and individual people.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 10:57:55 AM »

There's some really catty women where I work but there's also some really bitchy men. I saw the person on The Apprentice who said that, personally I thought she was being overly masculine to try and appeal to what she perceived to be a sexist nature in Alan Sugar.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »

I agree I think she was trying to say, "Look I'm just one of the blokes. Hard working and not at all bitchy." It was just a silly thing to say because whether her experience of working in an office full of females is that or not, it can be perceived to be sexist and a bit desperate. But then she didn't get the job anyway.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 04:08:52 PM »

She should've got it I think.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »

It seems a long time ago now but no way I think the girl that won the final of this years Apprentice was streets ahead of the girl that came second.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 12:55:54 PM »

They're having some kind of Junior Apprentice next year as well as the usual one. I don't really know why or what for but sounds interesting. I also don't know if it will be for twelve weeks or just a few.
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace