Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 25, 2014, 11:02:11 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Employees Waste Eleven Hours A Week Using Search Engines
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Employees Waste Eleven Hours A Week Using Search Engines  (Read 2429 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: May 30, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »

New research published recently shows that up to 11 hours a week are typically wasted by employees and workers using search engines to research a subject or look for information with frustrating end result. The research, conducted for Artesian Solutions, a provider of web-based market intelligence and surveillance software, also found that 36 percent of sales and marketing executives admitted to not finding the relevant information they were seeking and 51 percent reporting they were left 'highly frustrated' after using search engines. Artesian's research is supported by the recent findings of the IDC which concludes that a typical employed sales executive spends 22 hours a week on sales call and customer meeting preparation, which includes searching for customer information using the internet

The survey was conducted by an independent research company on behalf of Artesian Solutions and consisted of in-depth telephone interviews throughout December 2008 and January 2009 with sales and marketing executives in 151 UK companies.

Further findings from the research have enabled Artesian Solutions to attribute a monetary value of 3,194 pounds for 1 hour of an employee's time in enterprise organisations whose sales people have a typical 1,000,000 pounds average sales quota.

This figure came out of average productivity findings again backed by IDC centring around 260 working days in a year of which only 51 percent are productive selling days once holidays, training time, sickness and sales administration are considered. Of the remaining 134 working days (938 hours) with an average close rate of 1 in 3 this leaves an enterprise quota carrying sales person with only 312 effective selling hours which divided by the quota equates to the 3,195 figure. This formula is applicable to all organisations with different sales quotas and close rates.

Andrew Yates, CEO at Artesian Solutions, comments: 'As the economy continues to worsen, companies need their employees to be focusing on areas of the business that are most likely to achieve results. The fact that each employee is spending so much time un-productively in any working week with so much at stake further illustrates the need to address this key area of competitive advantage. The internet is an essential business tool - when used correctly - and should be used to gain valuable sales and competitive intelligence but there are better ways to achieve this than traditional key word searches and news alerts. Web 2.0 and the semantic web have gone a long way to ensure that this is possible but I think the time has come for software companies like Artesian to step up with business applications that make this possible on a large scale to make certain that the internet is being used in the most productive way. '
Report to moderator   Logged

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »

Seems the only thing one can do though if information is needed.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:00:13 PM »

Indeed. I mean, if somebody needs information the internet is where to find it though I'm surprised people struggle. All you have to do is type certain keywords into the search engine...how difficult can it be?

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:00:42 PM »

I agree I don't see how you can search for something via a search engine and not find what you are looking for.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:42:12 PM »

Perhaps this is a ploy or an excuse to be surfing the net or looking at Facebook. It sounds like a good (or not so good) excuse to me..."Oh no boss I've been looking for that information for the last 45 minutes on Google and can't seem to find out anything we need to know". Or maybe I am too cynical.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »

It sounds cynical but to lose eleven hours of working time a week when the average person only does something like 37 seems foolish in the max.
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »

Perhaps they should invest in teaching their employees to use search engines properly. It sounds simple but people often much longer searching for information because they don't know certain commands for search engines, such as telling it to exclude certain words, or making sure it searches only for a complete phrase. I assume if they compared this finding to how many hours could be wasted using other methods of research, such as searching a library, then the amount spent on search engines would be much less.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 11:02:52 AM »

How do you tell a search engine to exclude certain words? I'm intrigued.
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »

If, for example, I wanted to look up some information about the town Stilton, but not about the cheese, then I would search Stilton -cheese. This way you get all the results that contain the word Stilton but do not contain the word cheese. Sorry that was a bit of a random example, but it's all I could think of! It's basically a way of getting rid of the results that are likely to come up but are not the ones you want.
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 03:43:01 PM »

I use search engines all the time and sometimes I forget there are certain ways to get a better search results.  Maybe the search engines themselves should have a small area on the web page that instructs people on getting good search results.   Just a quick explanation, nothing long.
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »

That'd be a really good idea. I always forget too, we were taught at school about it but I had forgotten about them until I read this thread.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »

Wow you were taught about search engines at school. That makes me feel very old.

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »

I'm sorry... Smiley We weren't taught it very well if that's any consolation!
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace