Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 21, 2014, 10:28:36 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)When it it appropriate to discuss the company's benefits package?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: When it it appropriate to discuss the company's benefits package?  (Read 1482 times)
lava
liking it

« on: April 21, 2007, 08:34:13 AM »

If you are in an interview and the job looks promising, is it appropriate to discuss the jobs benefits package. Also what should you look for when discussing the company's benefits package? Obviously its important to have good health insurance and a 401K plan with the company, but what else should I look for?
Report to moderator   Logged
freeform
settling in

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »

I suppose it depends on what you need/want

You'll definitely want to find out before taking the job. Hopefully it would be brought up in the interview but if not make sure to get full details before accepting the position

Mark Nagurski
FreeForm Media
Marketing support for small businesses
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:53:28 PM »

If they bring it up that's fine and presumably if they make you an offer they will give you some information.  For me the time to really check this out is after the offer and before you acceptance.  Prior to the offer you need to be a bit careful so cannot ask too many questions etc and if you are not happy cannot really say so - once they have decided to offer you the job they are both practically and emotionally invested in your accepting it and at this point they are likely to be a bit more flexible.

A previous tread also talked about recruiters/agencies.  If you have been placed via one of these then you can get them to get you the information and negotiate on your behalf if there is something that you are not keen on

If it is you then best to ask questions for clarification, say you need to have a think about it and then give yourself a chance to follow up. 

Of equaly if not more importance, this period between offer and acceptance should also give you a chance to 'get to know the place'.  Do not feel that you cannot ask to talk to a few people, visit the location again etc.  It will give you a better insight into the job and the culture.  Do not do this unless you are very seriously considering taking the job because it does take up a lot of their time and they will be understandably upset if you subsequently turn down the offer without something substantial arising.  I was once offered a job after a 25 minute interview (for which I was kept waiting for 45 minutes!).  I explained that I felt the need to learn more about the place and asked to come back and visit and meet some people.  This was arranged and I took the job! Clearly it would have been impossible for me to have done so based on my pre-offer experience.

simacaj
just starting

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 01:36:44 AM »

I would agree that the best tmie for me to find out was when they called me back to make an offer.  The company would make me an offer and then I would get all the deatils on the insurance plan, 401K, and any other benefits. 
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace