Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 31, 2014, 12:36:21 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Has The Recession Changed Your Drinking Habits?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Has The Recession Changed Your Drinking Habits?  (Read 8674 times)
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: May 26, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »

I was having a conversation with my Brother and Dad tonight after they’d visited a once thriving but now very dying pub. They were saying for the last few years people seem to have stopped going to the pub as much choosing to stay home and that it was much worse since the recession really kicked in.

I wondered if anybody here is feeling the pinch or making decisions about not going out as much?

Has the recession even affected you or are you living exactly the same way you were a year ago?
Report to moderator   Logged

Jenna
liking it

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 03:34:14 AM »

Thanks for a good topic Robin. 

In my opinion, the recession is affecting all areas of business.  This includes the pubs, especially were I live.  There has been a decrease in the number of people coming in.  I suppose it's cheaper to buy alcohol from your local liquire store verses a pub.

Tomtom
settling in

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:41:41 PM »

I thought when people are depressed or have problems in their life, they automatically turn to alchohol.  For that reason, I'm very surprise to hear that the pubs are having a decrease in the number of people coming in. 
Teddy
liking it

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:15:49 PM »

People drink when they are happy and when they are sad, but if they don't have the money what are they going to do?  It makes sence to me that the pubs are having problems getting people in the door. 

Where I live, there are several pubs that have already closed down.  I don't see how they can survive during the recession.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:23:39 PM »

Hey thanks for all the great messages here. I think as a sweeping statement people in England, or certain people, will drink whatever there mood. As Teddy said, people drink to celebrate and drink to commiserate. I'm not surprised people are going out less to be honest. I mean who can afford to be in the pub four or five nights a week?

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »

I'm for the most part a weekend drinker. I get paid weekly so the Friday feeling is always good. A few of us go out straight from work on a Friday and I'm often out with non work friends on a Saturday but that's about it for me. I used to go to my local a couple of nights in the week but can't be bothered so perhaps this is correct.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »

It hasn't changed my drinking habits but then I've never been a pub person anyway. I go out about as much as I did before. Rarely.

Spinner
liking it

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 11:20:33 PM »

I think there is a change in the age of those who are going out to drink during the recession.  Meaning, the college students are probably still making their way to the pub, but those who are older are the one's going out less.  Does anyone agree?
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »

This is my experience from speaking with friends in UK.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »

My Brother is quite a pub person and plays in a couple of local pool teams and he's been going out less the past few months. Only really on pool nights where as I think he used to go out most nights before work as he works from midnight till 8am.

Timber
liking it

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »

On average, many people are affected by the recession, but there are a few communities where the people don't feel the impact of the recession as much.  The reason for the discrepancy is some places did not experience a "boom" in the housing market or in employment.  Where they live, everything pretty much remained the same year long.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 02:18:19 PM »

Many pubs around my area have closed down over the last year or so. I assume this is to do with the recession. Unless pubs are going out of fashion fast.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »

This must be everywhere or just "the sign of the times" because many in my area too have closed. It seems if you don't do cheap food as a pub these days you're out of business. Pubs really have become the new restaurants huh?

Sunny
liking it

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »

In order for a pub to survive these days they need to serve people more than just drinks.  So in that case, as Robin suggested many pubs are also serving food.  Along with that, they have entertainment such as bands, and others have drink specials on certain days of the week.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 02:44:28 PM »

It's true the only pubs in my area that I know are really thriving are the ones that do food. I can get steak and chips from a pub near me for £6. Nice too. How can that be beaten?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace