Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 20, 2014, 05:23:23 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Has The Recession Changed Your Drinking Habits?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Has The Recession Changed Your Drinking Habits?  (Read 8601 times)
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 02:52:53 PM »

Exactly.

Bringing me back to one of my original points that pubs really are the restaurants of the "naughties".

Naughties as in this decade by the way.
Report to moderator   Logged

Betty
liking it

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 10:55:30 PM »

The pub where I go to has ladies night every Wednesday.  That means all drinks are very low price for us gals.  It's also a good way to lure the guys in, since there are so many of us girls in one spot.  Grin
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 10:30:51 AM »

Pubs have to do these kinds of things to get the punters in. Ladies Nights have probably always been there as well as happy hours but still, promotions and offers are the key to filling up those half empty pubs I think.
Betty
liking it

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »

Some pubs also have contests to get people in the door.  Usually the winner gets money or free dinner somewhere.  They seem to draw a big crowd.

Another key to getting more people into the pubs is good advertisement, especially if your a new pub that opened up. 
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 03:59:27 PM »

A pub quiz is always popular whatever the pub. 1 to enter or something like this and the winning team gets the cash or a few free drinks vouchers. I always enjoy them.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »

I like a pub quiz. I remember the day after I got married my whole family (and my wife's family) went to a pub and they ended up having a pub quiz. It was great. We lost on one question and that was the tallest building in the States. I said the Sears tower (I may have spelt Sears wrong there)  and he said the Empire State building. We were both certain we were correct. I KNEW I was correct but we ended up losing over that one question. Still, who cares it was great.

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »

That always happens in pub quizzes, but at least the one who was actually right can be smug about it in future quizzes!
I think the recession has changed my drinking habits in that my friends and I still go to the pub but we often only have a couple and then go to someone's house to drink shop bought drinks for the rest of the night. House gatherings seem to be the cheapest way forward, and then there's always the possibility of drunken Singstar on the playstation!
Drake
liking it

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »

Going to friends house can be much better than a pub.  You can order a pizza and sometimes we'll play cards a or watch a movie.  Everyone helps pay for the food and liquor.  If it's summer, we'll have a back yard barbecue.  That can be fun too.
Betty
liking it

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 07:12:22 PM »

Getting together with friends is always fun. 

I've noticed that since it is summer, many people are spending their weekends going to festivals.  Some of the festivals have a beer tent where you can order a beer and relax with firends.  The summer time festivals, barbecues, and picnic parties must be causing the pubs to lose money. 
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »

I love going to festivals in the summer, and the beer tent is always a major feature! Although, in my experience, the alcohol and (very greasy) food at festivals are both way overprice. That's why I always sneak my own in!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »

Are you going to any this year? I've always wanted to do a proper festival but haven't been able yet. Though this is the year I should have gone to Glastonbury.

That said I'm seeing Neil Young and Fleet Foxes next week (in two separate gigs) and Springsteen twice in Dublin in July so even though I couldn't get to Glastonbury I'm making sure all the important beats to me are royally covered.

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »

I'm going to Bestival in the Isle of Wight this year, it's in September. I usually go to Reading and Download as well but the line up for Reading didn't really appeal to me this year and Download clashed with other commitments. My Brother just got back from it though and said it was amazing, especially ZZ Top. So jealous! I've never been to Glastonbury, I'll get round to it eventually!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 02:16:51 PM »

What kind of festival is that? I know they just had a festival in the Isle Of Wight over the weekend. The ITV2 coverage was truly awful but I'm sure being there would've been great.

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »

It's just a music festival, it's headlined by Lilly Allen this year. I've been to the Isle of Wight festival before but never this one, but I'm sure it'll be awesome. I didn't see it on TV, I think it doesn't matter how good the coverage is, it can never truly capture the awesomeness of being there!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 05:56:52 PM »

I agree that TV coverage can't even come close to the atmosphere of being at a festival. Like I said I've never actually been to a festival but I have been at big televised gigs (The Freddie Mercury Tribute in '91 and the second Mandela Day gig at which he spoke in '90) and the TV stuff did it no justice at all.

Have a wicked time whenever it is that you go.

Three weeks till Springsteen in Dublin which is my "festival" this year though this week in the space of six days I'm going to see Neil Young, Fleet Foxes & Take That. Bit different that last one. It looks like I'm made of money when really it's just a coincidence that all of these gigs are in the same week.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace