Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 19, 2014, 11:11:35 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)UK Interviewers Less Likely To Check Social Networking Sites
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: UK Interviewers Less Likely To Check Social Networking Sites  (Read 2286 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: July 02, 2009, 01:00:16 PM »

UK interviewers and recruiters are the least likely to check social networking sites, new research from talent management consultancy DDI shows.

The research shows only 12% of interviewers claimed to do so. Their German counterparts are almost twice as likely as any other country to conduct online searches, while 46% say they use this technique to make hiring decisions.

A quarter of interviewers worldwide are using social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace to verify information about job candidates and of those interviewers who do conduct online searches, over half (52%) say they have used the information to influence hiring decisions.

Less than a third of candidates (32%) think what they put on social networking sites may affect their chances of winning a job – and in the UK under a quarter think this.

Steve Newhall, vice president for Europe at DDI, says: “It appears that jobseekers are quite naïve about how personal information on social networking sites is used. While job candidates should consider the sort of information they post online, interviewers should also realise that much of what is put there is for fun, and is unlikely to reflect a candidate’s on-the-job demeanor or performance.”
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »

Although I'm not looking for a job this is good to know.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »

I'm relatively new to facebook but can't imagine why recruiters would check it? To see that you're genuine and not stealing somebodies identity?
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:18:54 AM »

I've read also to see if you're responsible perhaps and don't have loads of photos drunk with friends.
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »

This is a surprise to me because a few short years ago there was no Facebook. Why do employers or recruiters now deem in necessary to check up if you will on potential workers?
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 03:22:30 PM »

People will use all tools at their disposal I suppose. I understand your point Malcolm but since it's there, it might as well be used. It's sort of like mobile phones. It's not that long ago that we didn't have them but now most people couldn't live without it.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »

The world is changing at an alarming rate I think and these "tools" if you will are good and useful. I couldn't imagine life without a mobile phone or even Facebook & Twitter. That seems a strange thing to say when they are pretty new inventions. I mean I remember the first computer I had about ten years ago when I first got "online". Now I work and practically live online in many ways.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:03:59 PM »

My Facebook settings are private anyway so nobody can see my stuff unless I allow them. Isn't everybody's?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »

Obviously not or this problem (if it is a problem) wouldn't arise. I think even though it's fully legitimate to look at peoples public profiles* many people might not be aware that this might happen if they attend a job interview or apply for a job. That really though is there problem. I hope that didn't sound harsh. I just mean there are privacy settings that are very simple to use so if you don't use them...well...the rest speaks for itself I think.

* See our new Knowledge Centre article on Social Networking & Recruitment.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 06:05:17 PM »

That was a great read. I agree that it is a public domain after all.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »

But Facebook is your private profile. Nobody has the right to see it or check up on you unless you allow them.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »

Nobody should but if you can set it to private you're sort of letting them aren't you?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »

Ultimately that's the final point.

I do think some people may not be aware that people would even want to look at their profile though.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace