Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

August 01, 2014, 02:42:10 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Employees Bury Heads In Sand
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Employees Bury Heads In Sand  (Read 3020 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: May 10, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »

As iProfile.org reveals over 60 percent of British workers are doing nothing to improve their job security, the online CV expert launches its Recession Survival Guide for Jobseekers and Jobkeepers.

The majority of the British workforce is in denial about the state of the current jobs market. Research from online CV expert iProfile.org has found that despite nearly 30 percent of workers believing there is a good chance they will be made redundant in the next 12 months, and only 13 percent thinking that their job is completely safe, a worrying 61 percent have done nothing to improve their job security.

This gap means that many people would be vastly under-prepared for the job-hunting market if they were to find themselves made redundant. As a result, iProfile.org has launched its comprehensive Recession Survival Guide for Jobseekers and Jobkeepers. With nearly 3 million iProfile holders in the UK, iProfile.org has drawn on its industry knowledge to offer practical advice to all: including recent graduates; those who have found themselves unemployed after many years of service; and even those lucky enough to still have a job.

For those looking for work, the guide includes suggestions of new career moves, highlights the key transferable skills and predicts the expected growth industries. Meanwhile, for those currently in employment the guide offers advice for spotting the signs of redundancy, and gives recommendations of measures employees can take to keep their job. Alongside this, iProfile.org gives invaluable tips on how best to update your CV template and sell yourself to current or potential employers.

'We understand that facing unemployment can be a daunting time, but we're surprised by how little people are doing to help improve their situation,' explains Peter Linas, Alliance Director, iProfile.org. 'Our research found that only 39 percent of those surveyed had taken measures to safeguard their job: just 16 percent had worked unpaid overtime; 8 percent of employees have postponed their holidays; a tiny 3 percent have bought smarter clothes for work; and 2 percent have volunteered to take a pay cut or switch from full time to part time employment. With this in mind, our guide is designed to advise jobseekers and jobkeepers of the best ways to take action. Linas continues, 'One of the easiest and most effective things jobkeepers can do is update their CV, however, our survey results show that only 17 percent of workers have ensured their CV is up-to-date. Your CV is the key to securing a job, and in the current climate you never know when you might need it. If you're made redundant it's possible you won't be able to return to your desk, let alone collect any relevant information as evidence of your work achievements. Candidates often fail to include their achievements in their CV simply because they've forgotten them. For this reason it's best to keep track of you skills and achievements as you go along, as this will be a great help when applying for a new job and can even highlight your transferable skills if you're looking to change careers.'

Case study: 'Making the most of your transferable skills'
Nathan Stevenson began his career as a high-flying quantitative analyst in a London-based hedge fund but when the credit crunch came last year he left the world of finance to pursue his dream of making movies. Nathan's old career has played a large part in his success after finding many of his skills were transferable: 'Hedge funds are fast paced, demanding precision and sharp analytical skills. That's essential when pulling together and managing multiple film projects and business opportunities.' Nathan admits that it was a nerve-wracking move, but by highlighting the skills he already had in his CV it was one that certainly paid off.

Recruiter comment
'It is undeniably tough for jobseekers at the moment - recruiters are no longer finding it difficult to source new candidates, so jobseekers need to be doing everything they can to search for jobs and build relationships with recruiters - they should treat looking for work as a full time job in itself,' says Nick Butcher, CEO of Capital International. 'It's also worth remembering that recruiters are struggling to find vacancies, so if you know of any positions available that aren't suitable for you, let them know - building a reputation for being a great candidate will help recruiters remember you for future job opportunities.'
Report to moderator   Logged

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:01:57 PM »

I'm not sure if "burying their heads in the sand" isn't actually "getting their heads down and working hard"? I think that's the only way to try and get a bit of job security. If you know there may be redundancies in your company the only thing you can do is work hard and show the higher ups why they should not lose you.

Am I right?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »

I'm not sure how you can really respond to news that your job may be under threat. If you like your job and hope it doesn't happen to you there's not much point in looking for a new job. Not until the worst case scenario happens. I think if I were in a position (that many of my friends have found themselves in recently) that my job MAY be under threat but to "wait and see" I'd probably bury my head in the sand a bit too. What would be my alternative?

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »

We agree I think.

Sure you might look around and keep an eye out for other jobs but if your boss got wind of that you might be elevated to the top of the redundancy list. I mean, Bob's looking for a job anyway so he can go.

I wouldn't call it burying my head in the sand but I would try to bury my head in my work.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »

I'm not sure about people being in denial about the state of the British jobs market either. Most people I know and have spoken with about employment thing this is a terrible time to be out of work and I realise how very blessed I am. I've mentioned it before but I have two friends who've been directly affected by the "recession" and who have lost their jobs. One of whom has actually just found a new one so of course, she's very happy about that. She's an accountant and I don't know how many accountants there are "out there" but I guess it's a pretty needed profession.

syed2011
just starting

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »

We agree I think.

Sure you might look around and keep an eye out for other jobs but if your boss got wind of that you might be elevated to the top of the redundancy list. I mean, Bob's looking for a job anyway so he can go.

I wouldn't call it burying my head in the sand but I would try to bury my head in my work.

Absolutely agree with you...elevation to redundancy list, is a big trouble, especially in case of firm where we can't get much choices to talk with HR dept for resolutions.

template examples

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace