Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 02, 2014, 07:51:50 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Would you be willing to ride your bike to work?
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Would you be willing to ride your bike to work?  (Read 4213 times)
Timber
liking it

« on: May 02, 2009, 07:38:06 PM »

Many people are trying to lose weight and there are also people who want to save the planet by limiting the amount of driving they do.  As a result, people have decided to ride their bike to work. 

Would you be willing to do the same?
Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 11:17:11 PM »

Certainly. Except I work from home. Though my last job I used to walk. It was about a half hour (very brisk) walk but it was my way of trying to get a bit fitter as well as being green as Kermit sang.

Timber
liking it

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »

I would like to ride my bike to work, but my concern would be the change of weather later in the day.  I would hate to ride my bike in the morning and see it start to rain in the afternoon.  That's why I drive my car.  You just never know what's going to happen later in the day.
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »

Of course riding a bike to work is a great way to lose weight, but what about those of us who have to dress nice to work.  I can't ride a bike in a skirt or dress.  Maybe I could change my clothes at work, but where am I going to put them?  In a bag?  I can't get my clothes wrinkled. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:12:22 AM »

That's a good point. Somewhere I used to work had showers. I guess your work doesn't? Some people used to cycle in and then have a quick shower before work.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 02:06:31 PM »

We have showers  Roll Eyes. They're especially great if you want to go out in town after work.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »

Working from home I have the best bathroom and shower I could possibly want in a place of employment.

The home comforts are second to none too  Grin.

Spinner
liking it

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »

It all depends on your job.  If you have an entry level job and you don't have to worry to much about apperance, then riding your bike to work is okay.  However, it would be strange seeing my boss ride into work with his designer suit and polished shoes. 
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »

I knew someone who was the president of his company and he used to walk to work all the time.  It kept him in shape and he didn't have to worry about working up a sweat when riding a bike.  Maybe more people should be walking to work these days.  That's if you live close by your place of employment.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »

Nottingham is a very bike friendly place. I don't know is most city's have done this (because I only live here) but most main roads have cycle paths. I love to get out for a bike ride every day. I can't cycle to work of course because I live here so a bike ride a day gives me the feeling of having cycled to work.

If that makes sense.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:22:29 PM »

Hey Robin, just wondering how many hours of work time to you put in at home?

Some people work more hours at home than if they were working in an office setting.  Do you fit this category?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »

I don't often do more I'm very anal and OCD so I pretty much do exactly my hours. There's a large element of trust involved in working from home and I take that very seriously and because at home (and online) there are many distractions I have an office set up in the kitchen and I don't allow myself to check emails or Facebook unless I'm "off the clock". There's also a large element of flexibility so my hours change slightly in that way but I'm very structured. A couple of my friends have asked me, why don't you work in front of the TV in the lounge? I'm like, NO WAY!!! How could I expect to be productive doing that? I also like to work in the kitchen because then after work I can kind of leave work at work if you get me? Or in the kitchen anyway  Grin.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 04:03:24 PM »

I hope you have a nice kitchen? I couldn't imagine trying to work in mine. Dirty dishes and mess everywhere.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »

I have a lovely kitchen thanks  Grin. If I had my way it would be a bit tidier but I am a married man. That's not to say my wife is messy by the way, though she is a little. Actually I think she's probably "normal" (whatever that is) and I'm overly clean and like everything in it's place. Our dining table is now my desk and I've put a few pictures next to me and on the wall in front of me to give it that nice office feel. That's now the one area I'm very protective of. We still eat dinner on it sometimes but if we aren't in "dinner" mode and my wife empties her bag on the table? Well that just wont do  Roll Eyes.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »

Does she not mind you taking over her kitchen and turning it into an office?
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace