Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 22, 2014, 08:55:45 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Job security verses good salary?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Job security verses good salary?  (Read 1936 times)
Betty
liking it

« on: April 18, 2007, 07:50:58 PM »

Which do you think is more important, job security or a good salary? In my opinion, I would have to say job security is more important because at least you know you have a paycheck every week.  Also, with job security you may be able to climb the corporate ladder and eventually get a better job in the company. No one likes to go to work and find out they've been laid off.  That's a terrible thing to expereince.
Report to moderator   Logged
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:08:13 PM »

I think it varies both from person to person and also from time to time.  There are times in your life where you can afford to take a bit more risk regarding pay/job security and other times where you cannot.  Part of the trick is knowing yourself and your needs. 

For me personally I have never been too worried about job security but at the same time (until recently when I elected to leave employment to set up my own business) I knew that there was very little risk that I would get laid off so that may build confidence.

I do agree, however, that getting laid off/made redundant can be a very scary and horrible thing.  For many people you cannot anticipate how you feel about it unless it happens.

Danniet
just starting

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 12:30:41 AM »

I would say for me personally Job security would be more important. I certainly like the idea of a good salary but I don't think I would choose that over the security of knowing my job would be there in the morning. I think salary is important but over time that long term income is more important to me.
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 12:39:36 AM »

In a way they can often go hand in hand. If you're not confident that you are an indispensable member of the team you're probably more willing to take a salary that isn't as reflective of your abilities as you would like it to be. However, if you're confident that you bring something unique to the table and that you could walk out the door, bringing those skills to another job without any trouble then it's more likely you're making a salary that you feel good about. Personally, I am rarely concerned about job security- I know that I am good at what I do and if for some reason my employer and I part ways I will be able to find another job with ease.   
Greg
liking it

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 07:48:34 PM »

I personally think there are no jobs that offer security anymore.  Maybe 50 or 60 years ago, people could work in one comapny and retire.  Today, that no longer exists with comapanies out sourcing work to other contries.  So it looks like the only answer is a job with a good salary.  Chances are you'll be happy with the large amount of money your bringing home and can save enough for the future.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace