Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

December 18, 2014, 01:47:30 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)How to stay healthy at work?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: How to stay healthy at work?  (Read 1935 times)
Betty
liking it

« on: April 21, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »

Sometimes no matter how hard you try, a job may feel as if it's hurting you more than helping you. It could be the job is a bad fit, maybe volatility in your industry gives you anxiety about the future, or salary cuts are making your day more stressful. 

Does this sound familiar to you?

Are you doing anything to releive the stress? 

Report to moderator   Logged
lava
liking it

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:05:30 PM »

One of my problems at work is trying to stay fit and healthy.  Most of the day I spend sitting at my desk.  I'm not very active and I've already noticed I've gained a few pounds. 

I could exercise when I leave work, but I'm usually busy doing errands and by the time I get home, I'm too tired to exercise.  I wish my company had their own exercise room.  I would probably be there during my lunch break.   Undecided
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »

I don't get a huge amount of exercise but when I leave work (99% percent of the time) I have to cover about three quarters of a mile in ten minutes to catch my bus. It's that or I'd be waiting an extra half an hour so I get a very healthy walk/jog at the end of most of my working days. It's all uphill as well  Embarrassed.
lava
liking it

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:27:53 PM »

Running to catch a bus to and from work is a good workout. 

I have heard of companies that provide their employees with an incentive to stay fit and healthy.  For example, if you work at google, they have a fitness room and subsidized exercise classes.  Google is a great place to work for.  I wish I had a job there.. Undecided
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:57:02 AM »

I wonder how many people work for Google? Worldwide I mean? Maybe I should Google it  Roll Eyes.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »

Some internet firms, though I'm sure not Google have many less people working for them than you'd think. There's a personal ad website called CraigsList, (you may have heard of it recently being connected to some brutal attacks) they have maybe a dozen people working for them. I know Wikipedia only has a small handful of people working for them too. I'm sure Google of course has many thousands.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:13:43 PM by forum admin » Report to moderator   Logged

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 12:14:12 PM »

I find it fascinating that some of these huge web companies (like Wikipedia) has only a handful of people working for them. I guess that's why the owners are often so much. The guy that runs Wikipedia hardly has many overheads does he?
Teddy
liking it

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »

A big company such as Wikipedia has expenses that can be costly.  These include maintaining the servers.  These require constant maintenance and monitoring because if the web site goes down, money will be lost.

There is also the cost of advertising the web site and providing new content on the site for the search engines to pick-up. 

Having a web site requires more work than you may think, including expenses.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 12:27:45 PM »

I agree it must be a costly business. I saw the guy that owns and runs Wikipedia interviewed a few months ago and he said that they only employ something like seven people as full time staff. I guess if servers go down there are people he calls on to sort it out in a kind of freelance fashion maybe. I would imagine if you asked the average person in the street that they would think they'd employ at least a couple of hundred people. I probably thought that before I saw the interview anyway.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace