Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

August 29, 2014, 10:59:45 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Employers Urged To Look At Skills Rather Than Qualifications
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Employers Urged To Look At Skills Rather Than Qualifications  (Read 1551 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: April 18, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »

Employers have been encouraged to look at a job candidate’s skills rather than their qualifications.

Responding to the Universities, Science and Skills Committee Select Committee’s Re-skilling for recovery: after Leitch, implementing skills and training policies report published recently, Chris Ball, chief executive at The Age and Employment Network (TAEN), says that not having the right qualifications is proving a barrier to employment for mature workers.

Ball says: “When it comes to looking for a new job, not having the right piece of paper, even though the individual may have been a top performer with years of practical experience in senior roles, is a barrier that is often almost impossible to overcome. 

“The government’s skills policy has helped fuel this problem - to the detriment of older workers in particular.  The Committee is right in questioning it.  After all, you cannot assume that just because an individual doesn’t have a 50 metre swimming certificate, they can’t swim. They may swim faster, with more style and be able to swim further than someone who does have one.”
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »

I have to say I love the part here that compares workers without certain qualifications to someone who can swim but who doesn't have a certain badge. I hope this doesn't sound arrogant but I've been for jobs in the past that I just knew I could do well but because my GCSE grades weren't as good as somebody else I missed out. Fair enough in one sense but a healthy balance of the two is what's needed I think.

Jenna
liking it

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »

Grades in school are important, but sometimes I think we over emphasize school grades in our culture.  Meaning, some people have a good work ethic such as come to work on time, do what is told, respectful of others, and always show up for work.  To me, these qualities need to be emphasized more, when looking for a job.

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »

Exactly. I guess when an employer puts on a job advert (must have O Level or GCSE equivalent - meaning a GCSE at grade 'A', 'B' or 'C') they are looking for somebody with a good basic knowledge and intelligence level but many things can go wrong in a child's life that means for whatever reason they do not achieve their full potential at school. I guess that's just tough luck in the world of certain employers. Re-take your GCSE's or that's that. If I were an employer I'd always try and look at the person wherever possible and not simply dismiss them because they didn't make the grade.   

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 03:27:47 PM »

I agree in part with what you are saying Robin but surely if an employer wants a new recruit to have a basic level of English & maths for example school grades are the only safe way of confirming this. Aren't they?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »

That's true I guess. Or up to a point. I think it's a shame when somebody just doesn't get a look in if they don't have these grades. Maybe a mixture of the two would be perfect. But then again unless an employer is very small, we don't live in a perfect world.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 12:19:36 PM »

I think a small employer probably would look at a candidate in the whole, that's what I'm hoping. It's probably your larger BT/NHS type places that get loads of people applying so need to have a general standard of education.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace