Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 17, 2014, 02:29:25 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Would you be willing to take a 10 percent pay cut?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Would you be willing to take a 10 percent pay cut?  (Read 2806 times)
lava
liking it

« on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »

We all know the economy is doing poorly and many people are afraid they might lose their job.  Some companies are threatening to give employees a pay cut in order to keep their job.

Would you be willing to take a 10 percent pay cut or would you leave your job?
Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:18:09 PM »

It's a difficult question that could only really be answered if one is put in that situation.

I wouldn't leave my job though  Lips sealed.

Timber
liking it

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »

Normally I would not take the pay cut and look elsewhere for a job, but my sister has been in the job market looking for work and hasn't found anything.  She been to interviews, sent several applications, but no luck.  Seeing her struggle makes me think I might be willing to take a 10% pay cut if I had to make the decision.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »

There's a lot of people doing this (taking a cut) it seems to help fellow workers out. I think it's pretty amazing really and shows the goodness in people at a time all we often here about is big pay outs and greed. These kinds of stories restore my faith in humanity. Well, a little bit anyway.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:42:10 AM »

I've been hearing that some of the employees for the auto industry are being forced to take a pay cut and many are angry over this decision.  They feel it is unfair that they take a pay cut when the higher ups are sitting in their office making 10 times more money than they are.  Why is this?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 12:52:40 PM »

That's a good question. I've heard stories about employees offering to take a cut to help fellow workers out (we've been discussing this recently in another strand on the forums here) but being forced to take a pay cut is very different.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:35:03 AM »

Jay Leno did some episodes of his talk show from Detroit last week. The audience members were workers from the auto industry. In fact it might have even been filmed inside one of the auto plants. He's a huge car freak and it was his way of trying to give something small back to the workers there. Good for him I say.
Timber
liking it

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »

I think a pay cut is valid depending on how much you make and what are your responsibilities at home.  Such as..Do you have a family to care for?  Do you have a spouse who is also working?  Do you have a mortgage?  Etc..  These are the type of questions I need to ask before I decide to take a pay cut.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 01:19:27 PM »

I fully agree with Timber.

Another question would be, if it's your job, can you afford not to take a pay cut?

Because a pay cut surely is better than being made redundant?

Well, of course the answer to that is also in Timber's message. It depends on your personal and family situation.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 01:24:58 PM »

This totally depends on the home situation and bills etc doesn't it? Because I still live at home with my parents I could afford to quit a job that wanted to cut my pay probably. Still, I don't know what I'd do I'm not having much success in my job search, though I haven't properly looked for a while now. If I had my own place that would be a different matter entirely.
kimkk10
just starting

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 06:02:16 AM »

Hello..........

--Took a pay cut to work at the Walfart a month after I got laid off at my old job of 13 years after the company filed bankrupt for the 2nd time.

Owuch on the pay cut but hell its better than nothing esp when jobs that rarer than hen's teeth.

"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." <--Harry S. Truman (1884-1972)
Obama: FDR for the 21st Century...Bring on the New Deal II!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:42:13 PM by Lisette » Report to moderator   Logged
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »

Was this a while ago Kim or quite recently?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace