Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 24, 2014, 09:26:07 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Golden Handcuffs For Teachers In Tough Schools
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Golden Handcuffs For Teachers In Tough Schools  (Read 2883 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: April 03, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »

Good working teachers are to be encouraged to join some of Englandís toughest schools by being offered a 10,000 pounds golden handcuffs package announced by the government.

In a bid to improve pupil achievement among disadvantaged children, the government is to put in place the plan, which will see more than 500 of the most difficult schools offer the package to employees.

To be announced in the governmentís New Opportunities White Paper, the money, which is almost half the yearly average for a starting salary for teachers, will cover up to 6,000 new jobs annually.
Half of the funds will come from the government while the other half will be raised by respective schools and head teachers will have control over who gets the recruitment package.

Such teachers will join the few mathematics and science teachers who are currently benefiting from a £5,000 package due to a shortage of qualified teachers for these subjects.
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 11:47:46 AM »

I personally think this is a good thing. I mean teachers that choose to work in a private school rather than a state one probably earn more money so offering incentives to work in areas that desperately need input seems a great idea to me.

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this story?

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:35:28 PM »

As long as there's enough teachers to go around at these ones aren't getting special treatment, which I think they might be, it's ok with me.
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:43:52 PM »

I think it's a really good idea (especially as my dad works at a school for badly behaved children!). I wonder how they decide what schools qualify, because I'm sure there will be teachers out there who don't get it but think that the pupils they deal with should qualify them for it.
Spinner
liking it

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:05:57 PM »

I wonder how many teachers will actually consider the job.  I know that working with "difficult" children can be very challenging and sometimes the pay isn't worth it. 
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 10:09:50 PM »

I have worked with students who were difficult and it can be tough.  One of the main problems is not having the support of the parents to back you up.  Meaning if you have a child who is causing problems in the class, you will never be able to correct the problem if the parents don't support you.  It's a losing battle and sometimes you give up on trying to help a kid.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 04:15:01 PM »

It must be hard. One of my friends is a teacher and it seems to be one big constant stress for her. I suppose that's why they call it a vocation and not just a job. You have to be "made" to teach I think.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »

Hmmm and now people from the banking sector (or a few) are moving into the teaching profession. Or vocation as you put it.

I feel they may have been made to teach rather than made to teach.

If that makes sense?

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 12:54:53 PM »

But they can't have been made to teach surely the would have to decide to go into that profession?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »

Good point I'm not too sure what I was thinking when I wrote that.

Perhaps I meant that if a job in banking is done Teaching might be the next best thing? I mean it's not their vocation is it or they would have been a teacher all along.

I hope this makes sense?

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 12:25:51 AM »

I know what you mean, many people seem to be going into teaching because it seems like a more secure job, rather than because they have the temperment for it or even the want to teach.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 05:49:25 PM »

I think it's a terrible job unless you're really cut out for it. I know the holidays are great but all of my friends who teach (about four people that I know) are all pretty much always stressed and overworked. Teachers deserve the holidays they get but the holidays are not the reason you should go into teaching.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 05:49:59 PM »

I know lots of teachers and it's certainly a challenging profession in many ways.
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 10:26:22 PM »

I don't actually think the holidays are that much of a bonus. I know that they are very long, but they're also very rigid so you can't have them when you want. Plus, because all shools have the same holidays teachers can only go away or whatever in the busiest times of the year. A couple of big holidays doesn't make up for the stress the rest of the year.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 06:17:10 PM »

Good point.

My friends who are teachers both are always counting down till the next half term or whichever holiday it may be.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace