Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 03, 2014, 12:44:20 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Having a pet in the work place?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Having a pet in the work place?  (Read 1822 times)
Spinner
liking it

« on: March 25, 2009, 08:09:10 PM »

I've heard of certain companies that have a pet cat or dog that walks around the office while employees are working.  The pet is suppose to divert some of the daily stress that occurs in the work setting.  Do you agree with this or is having a pet in the work place another distraction for employees?
Report to moderator   Logged
Timber
liking it

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »

I think having a pet in the work place is a good idea, however it can also cause problems.  These include people who might be allergic to animal hair, cleaning up after the pet, and the added expense of buying food, and visits to the vet.  Bottom line, pets need to stay at home and not the office.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:49 PM »

I'm not to sure on this one. I've not heard of this before. Although as I type I remember that in the last taxi office I worked for the boss sometimes brought his dog in to the office. That was definitely not an office pet and usually made a right mess. I guess in a small environment where everybody knows each other a pet might be a good idea. Personally I'd go with fish, then there can't be any allergic problems etc. People say watching fish is very calming.

lava
liking it

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:08:59 PM »

I once worked in a retirement home for the elderly and there was a house cat that everyone liked.  This cat used to sleep in the lobby and sometimes relax on the sofa.  Many of the residents would feed the cat and buy toys for her.  I suppose the purpose of the cat was to help those who were lonely and depressed.  I figure, if a pet helps the majority of people, it's worth it.
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:11:39 PM »

I worked for a pet store when I was younger and we actually had a live in cat that walked around the store and slept behind the cash register.  So many people loved her and it helped business because customers wanted a cat after interacting with the store cat. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »

I too worked in a retirement home for the elderly for a few months as a kitchen assistant. The home had a couple of cats that came and went as they pleased. It really was a homely environment and not a business so they belonged. I guess a cat or dog in an office is a whole different kettle of fish.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 03:48:31 PM »

The bottom line is pets are okay in a work place depending on the type of business.  For example, having a dog in the dental office is probably inappropriate, but a cat in a nursing home might be okay.

Speaking of cats, I was reading an article one day of a cat that stays in a nursing home and whenever a resident is very sick, the cat is always found sleeping on the edge of that patient's bed.  Isn't that sweat?  Sounds like the cat is one of the employees... Wink
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »

Wow that's amazing. It must be the sixth sense thing. Have I got that right? Is it cats they say have a sixth sense?

Betty
liking it

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »

Cats are also said to have nine lives.. Grin

I have heard of so many amazing stories about animals.  Another one is about a dog saving his masters life.  Apparently a man was driving on a snowy road one day with his dog and the car ran off the side of the road into a ditch.  The man was pinned inside the car and could not get help.  But amazingly the dog ran out of the car, up the ditch to the side of the road and stayed their till someone stopped their car to see what happened.  Isn't that amazing?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 01:02:41 PM »

That is amazing.

I love hearing these kinds of stories.

I guess the nine lives things is a bit of a saying nothing more but the sixth sense thing? That must be true  Roll Eyes.

It's like the old Greyfriars Bobby story about the dog that went every day to his owners grave for many years. That always blows my mind a bit.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace