Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 26, 2014, 03:59:15 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)Overqualified for the position
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Overqualified for the position  (Read 1996 times)
MaryG
liking it

« on: April 13, 2007, 06:18:07 PM »

Though most of us worry about being under qualified for the position we are seeking I've been in the situation before where I have been overqualified for a job I would really like to have. (The reasons for this can vary, for me it was at a time when I wanted to have less pressure and responsibility at work so I could focus more on my family). It's been my experience that it has actually been harder to land this type of job than one I was not quite qualified for. I always wondered if the supervisor felt threatened by my experience and education. Are there ways to downplay your accomplishments without compromising your principles?
Report to moderator   Logged
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »

This is tough. Many years ago I applied for a job in London (high cost of living and higher salaries) when living in Scotland (low salaries).  At the interview the manager (who would have been my boss) said that he felt that I could do his job.  What can you say to this?  I just said something like, but I don't want it ... needless to say I did not get the job Smiley  Actually a pretty silly thing to say in an interview but even harder to answer!

Greg
liking it

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 08:56:42 PM »

I was also in a similiar situation where I was overqualified for a job.  Many do feel threatened that you may eventially take over their job.  For that reason, I actaully had to change my resume and edit some of my educational background and job experience.  By doing this, I automatically got the job I was seeking.  Of course, it did bother me that I had to lie about my accomplishments, but that was the only solution to achieve my goal.
ftdale
just starting

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 01:03:45 PM »

This is a common situation, and you have to respond based on the size and status of the company you're aplying to. For example, if it's a big company, you tell them that you'd rather be a small fish in a big pond, rather than a big fish in a small pond - Or something like that. That's assuming you're appying to a company which is bigger and better than your previous one.
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 05:17:45 PM »

For that reason, I actaully had to change my resume and edit some of my educational background and job experience.  By doing this, I automatically got the job I was seeking.  Of course, it did bother me that I had to lie about my accomplishments, but that was the only solution to achieve my goal.
This is where it gets murky for me. Is it ethically appropriate to edit your educational background? I have no problem with modifying my accomplishments and job experience to reflect what this job (whatever it may be) requires, but I have concerns about the rest. It's a frustrating experience. I have said in an interview when told I could do the interviewers job that though I had and could do that job  I didn't currently want the responsibility and stress of that type of position. I got that job!
attagirl
settling in

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 06:56:18 PM »

I think that some people feel threatened and that is why they are not willing to hire you. I know it is possible to be over qualified for positions and that some people will not hire you simply because they feel that you would not be happy in the positions or would look for a better paying or other job.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace