Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 21, 2014, 05:05:19 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityHireScores.com news (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, Forum Management)Workplace Law Network 11.02.09
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Workplace Law Network 11.02.09  (Read 2484 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: February 23, 2009, 05:25:53 PM »

Though this screen print is perhaps to small to read here, it can be seen in the media centre section of the site as well: http://www.hirescores.com/press-cutting-article.php?newsid=542
Report to moderator   Logged

Timber
liking it

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:55:10 PM »

I am guilty of researching potential employees through social networking sites.  I was amazed at so much information I found on a single candidate.  Upon my investigation, I didn't find anything that was offensive or made me think negatively towards them. However, it made me realize you need to be careful about what you put online about yourself. 
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »

Isn't that like going through somebody's mail or dustbin? Why do you feel the need to do that?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »

I would say "laugh out loud" but I hate that text message jingo speak. I've just set all of my Facebook settings to private so that only my friends can see my profile. Not because I'm afraid of this kind of thing but I think in the long term it's something I need to do. I'm not happy with anybody looking me up and seeing my photos or personal information. I sort of don't blame a recruiter for checking (I might be tempted if I was in that position if I'm honest) so am thankful that I am not in that position. People often assume a huge negative but I guess it could actually confirm that a recruiter feels a candidate is a great person if they see or read nice things.

Jenna
liking it

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:06:59 PM »

I enjoy keeping in contact with my friends on facebook.  I like to share pictures with them. 

Did anyone hear about the problem facebook had recently?  Many people revolted against facebook because they changed their privacy rules and said they own all pictures you post on the site.  It was big news and so many people were upset that facebook quickly changed the rule back .  I thought it was very strange for them to do this.  It caused so many people to cancel their facebook account.  I assume these people are back on facebook again.

Whoever came up with this idea probably lost their job in facebook the next day.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 03:32:56 PM »

Though the people that left probably remained without knowing it. If you cancel an account with facebook it remains for a certain period of time. I think the same goes with certain pictures. They may not own them as they hoped to but they remain somewhere online so as not to disconnect from the network. I don't really understand enough about this but it does strike me as a little like Big Brother.

Jenna
liking it

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »

Your right Robin, it does sound like a Big Brother.  I never canceled my account with facebook, it must take some time for this to occur, just like you said.

Face book is one of the largest social networking sights on the internet, but I've also heard of another popular site called Twitter.  Does anyone have an account there?  If so, do you like it?
Timber
liking it

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 01:17:54 AM »

Twitter is okay.  I have an account there, but it's more of a blog site where people write short statements about what they are doing or thinking.  I personally prefer facebook, but twitter is becoming popular so eventually it may become the number one networking site.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:54 PM »

I'm getting really into the Twitter thing. I can't see it ever taking over from Facebook myself because all it really is is a status update. For some people Twitter is boring and for others it's like Facebook without all the added "you have a knighthood request" garbage.

Tomtom
settling in

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:11:17 AM »

Okay, I don't understand something.  Can someone explain to me, why do people blog about themselves?  I mean, is there a reason why people write about their daily experiences, travels, and activities? 

Is there any money to be made blogging?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 12:20:02 PM »

I don't know if there's any money to be made but I write a blog. Or just started one. I don't really know why to be honest, I just enjoy writing and have often done so and posted to several egroups and discussion forums on the net. This way I guess I get to keep a record of (what I perceive to be) the more interesting things I've written about. Since it came up, allow me to throw in a shameless plug and say...follow me...
http://robintetley.blogspot.com/ .

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 05:37:39 PM »

It seems that Twitter is the latest fad. Facebook has recently changed to look a bit more like it. I am on these sites but don't update my status very often. All Twitter does is update your status. Are people really that interested in what friends or family members are doing?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »

I am.

It certainly makes you a little more nosey and you have to fight the temptation to read other people conversations. I think that's something that is easy to slip into.

But on the whole I like the status update things.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:40:35 PM »

I don't really get twitter.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »

Twitter is basically a status update like you have on Facebook but without all the other "applications" and stuff Facebook has. I guess it appeals to people who like an easier way of communicating with their friends without having three knighthood requests or two group invitations. You update your status and that's it.

Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace