Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 25, 2014, 10:58:59 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)Cover letters - type or write
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Cover letters - type or write  (Read 5020 times)
Seb
just starting

« on: March 14, 2007, 10:25:36 PM »

What do you reckon is better - a handwritten or typed cover letter? 
Report to moderator   Logged
JayJay
just starting

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 01:46:34 PM »

Really depends on your handwriting, I'd play it safe and print on good quality paper. It also means you can spellcheck it!

Some companies do insist on handwritten letters, but you then know that you are being assessed by a graphologist.
perpetualseeker
just starting

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:40:33 PM »

Do serious recruiters really use graphology/graphologists to check out candidates? 
HRManager
just starting

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:46:08 PM »

I once went to a talk by a graphologist who went through all the stuff and reasons for the conclusions - it was interesting but I was not convinced.  He did a poll at the beginning and the end about who would use graphology in recruitment and did get a some 'converts' by the end of the evening.  I am pretty sure he was good at what he did and he was certainly very professional.  I guess for me there are other ways to measure this sort of stuff which are potentially sounder from a defence point of view (validity tests etc) should someone dislike the decision you made.

When pushed I conceded that I might consider it as part of a development intervention aimed at helping the individual.  But it would require a real expert and cannot be cheap.

Anyone else had experience of this or have any views?

HR Manager
Seb
just starting

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:48:16 PM »

Actually you highlight a very useful point Jayjay - unless specifically required, you do not want people drawing conclusions from your handwriting, especially if they are not trained to do so.

And yes, the spell checker helps!
Top Boss
just starting

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 02:20:06 PM »

While I feel more comfortable printing out a letter (with spell checking), I do think that a hand written letter gives a more personal feel to an application.

However, if your hand writing is unreadable, you may benefit more from a printed letter.
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 09:39:40 PM »

I am a typed cover letter supporter.  I worry that handwritten does not look business like enough.  There will be some circumstances where handwritten will hit the right note - personal touch, not too 'corporate' etc but this would tend to be applications for smaller companies.

These days with PCs so prevalent it is fairly unlikely that someone cannot type a letter but at the moment I think that hand written runs the risk of looking like you are not IT literate.  Interesting to watch but perhaps it will come round full circle where handwritten will start to show care and dedication (since so easy to type them). hmmmmm ... interesting

HRManager
just starting

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:49:04 PM »

I vote for typed as well. I guess we HR people need to stick together and they are easier to read as well.

I think that perhaps the exception would be for a job with a small company where the owner is likely to be reading them and this might give them a nice feel for you as a person.

We need to lure some small company owners onto this thread to give us their views!

HR Manager
Tammy
just starting

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 09:48:32 PM »

OK, so I buy the typing.

But what do people think about coloured paper.  I am not talking fluffy pink with flowers - much as I like that kind of stuff - but high quality pale grey or blue or somthing like that.  You see such nice paper in these paper shops these day that I yearn to be able to use it but have never quite got the courage.

Who does use all this lovely paper these days with e-mail and texting so prevalent?
Chevy
liking it

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 02:12:43 PM »

Tammy, I actually would recommend using colored paper of a higher than usual fiber content. It may seem like a very little thing but I believe that it may catch the attention of the person sorting through applications more than a typical piece of paper. My wife once went to an interview (she's in the education field) and was told she was chosen for that interview because she used a creative look for her cover letter. She had used paper with an alphabet strip border because she was applying for jobs with elementary schools.
Wayne
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 09:06:12 PM »

Personally I would go for typed each and every time unless asked. All the relevant points have been pointed out in the thread. My own handwriting is abysmall and probably illegible to everyone except my wife!
Seriously though people have not got the time to be wondering what does this say, whereas if it is typed and grammatically correct they get the info they need without any problems.
Betty
liking it

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:23:12 AM »

Hi Chevy, I think the idea of using a cover letter with an alphabet strip border was an excellent idea!  You took a chance and it got you noticed among the other applicants. When looking for a job, its important to find a strategy that draws attention to you in a professional manner.  I myself am always thinking of ways to make a favorable impression. Sometimes I write a thank you letter to the person that interviewed me.  Has anyone else done that?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace