Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 25, 2014, 12:51:19 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)Resume advice
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Resume advice  (Read 3179 times)
lava
liking it

« on: March 19, 2007, 06:45:22 AM »

Hi,

I have a resume that is two pages long.  I have tried changing the margins and making the font smaller so it fits on a single page, but  nothing seems to work. The only solution is to remove information from the resume, which I don't want to do. Are there any rules governing the length of a resume?  Will a two page resume hurt my chances of getting a job interview?   
Report to moderator   Logged
HRManager
just starting

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:28:42 AM »

I think a two page resume is fine.  But you now have the opposite problem which is how to make the 2 pages look properly filled!  One way is to put the headings into a column on the left hand side since this pushes the text over to the left but still looks professional.   

HR Manager
Top Boss
just starting

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »

I agree, two pages is perfectly acceptable as long as the information is relevant.  There is nothing worse than reading a CV which has obviously been "padded out".

Stick to the facts, and relevant information, and make your points as snappy as possible.  Nobody wants to read a 10 page CV which reads like a boring novel.
HRManager
just starting

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:51:29 PM »

You are of course correct Top Boss, if you struggle to get to two full pages and it looks padded then you do not have a choice but to cut it back to one page and lose some content. But having a bit of space to give a few additional examples, especially if you are geared up to customising them to fit the particular you you are applying for, is a nice luxury (I speak as someone with a somewhat crowded 2 page CV)

HR Manager
Tammy
just starting

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 09:44:48 PM »

I'm with two pages.  Just got to think up some things you have achieved.  One of the other threads talks about adding hobbies and stuff like that so I guess this could fill a bit.

Serious
just starting

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 12:29:03 AM »

I am one of those people who struggles to get my CV onto two pages - even with wide margins and fairly small font.  I was once told - by a very good recruiter (by the way) that really it was about giving a flavour and the promise of more to come and I did not need to cover everything that I had ever done.  This did help me prune things down.  Also if you do have space problems you can cut out a lot of stuff from the early part of your career since they are going to be pretty much superceded.
Wayne
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 09:18:47 PM »

Just remember that employers although they won't admit it have very little time to read through cv's and resumes. You must keep all the information relevant and concise. If you feel that 2 pages are required then fine, but if you feel that you are getting little reponse from the information in that form consider reducing it to 1 page.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace