Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 25, 2014, 07:14:49 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)What do you wish they would have taught you in school?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What do you wish they would have taught you in school?  (Read 5923 times)
Jenna
liking it

« on: February 10, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »

We all went to school to learn how to read, do math problems, etc, but do you ever wish they would have taught you something more?  Was there something that would have better prepared you for life after school?
Report to moderator   Logged
Tomtom
settling in

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »

Yes.  There are several things schools should have taught kids besides math formulas and adverbs.  How about learning how to balance a checking account.  What to look for when deciding on whick bank to open a checking or saving account.  How to budget money. How to write a successful CV. 

Why did they neglect these important surival skills???
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »

So many things I don't know where to begin. Certainly a little banking education would have been great. Not to mention credit card and debt management. If those things had been even mentioned at school one might have thought twice about taking them out. I'm certainly not blaming my debts on a lack of education, not at all, just saying that a little practical help with real life skills would be a bonus.

lava
liking it

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »

Stress management would have been helpful.  Another is retirement planning.  There are different retirement plans out there and I wish someone would have explained them to me and educated me on when to start thinking of retirement.  Also, how much should a person have before they retire.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »

Retirement planning would be wonderful. I was just saying here (though in another discussion) that when I was asked whether to opt in or out of a company pension in one of my first jobs I very quickly decided to opt out. Why worry about a pension when I'm this young was my thought. If this had been looked at a little in school I may have realised that it's never to early to be thinking about this kind of thing.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:24:31 PM »

How about what you need to know when buying a house!  My friend is in the market and looking for a new home.  As a first time home buyer, there are so many things you need to know and understand such as the different types of mortgage rates, closing costs, home inspection, etc.  This would have been helpful information if they taught it in school!!!!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:16 AM »

True. I think these things are far too practical (I don't mean that in a negative way) for School really. Life lessons might be a good term. Maybe they need to have a class called this in the last couple of years of school life that could cover all these kinds of things. Bank accounts, pensions, how to buy a house etc.

Pepper
liking it

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »

Good idea Robin, when I was in high school we had a class called Consumer Affairs and we learned a variety of things such as how to file your own taxes, understanding the stock market, how to write a check, etc.  Of all the classes I've taken in High School this was the only class that I still refer to in my daily living. 

I wish all school had this course!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 01:23:19 PM »

It sounds great. It also sounds like, as you say, every school should run a class like this. I did community studies which very occasionally touched on these kinds of things but not nearly enough.

Jenna
liking it

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »

I wish someone would have taught me about how the stock market operates and what a mutual fund is.  There are so many different types of mutual funds on the market that I get confused.

I suppose on of the reasons why they don't teach this type of stuff in school is because society wants to keep us dumb on these topics so they can take advantage of us.  I mean if the "common" man knew too much, then stock market traders would be out of a job.  We wouldn't need investors to manage our portfolios.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »

Great point Jenna. I agree with every word you wrote there  Smiley.

lava
liking it

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »

I have someone who manages my stock portfolio and I think I could do a better job!  I got started in the stock market because my Father managed my account when I was young ( about 13 years old.  Since that time I kept the same investor, but now that I'm becoming more knowledgeable of the market, I'm beginning to make my own financial decisions.  Wish I knew this sooner! 

A class in Stocks would have been more helpful than a class in Shakespeare! 

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »

When I was in New York recently (well, last October) me and my wife Chelsea took a tour around Central Park thanks to a man on a bike and carriage thing. It was raining so we didn't really want to walk. We stopped by the statue of Shakespeare and were told that this man was a famous English playwright and that he'd written two famous plays, Romeo & Juliet & Hamlet.

We still quote him to this day. Two famous plays and he got a statue in Central Park? It seems such a shame that all of his other works were insignificant  Roll Eyes.

lava
liking it

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 10:56:15 PM »

Okay, your right.  Shakespeare is famous and is a great playwright, but I was just making a point.  There are some things that needed to survive in this society and there are other that make us a well rounded person. 

Right now I am having problems with my sister's house who needs a new roof.  Her husband passed way last year and now the town is telling her to fix her roof.  Well, that would be fine, if she had the money and didn't suffer a lost of income with the death of her spouse.  Somethings happen at the wrong time!  A class in death benefits might have been helpful back in school.   Undecided
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »

I agree with your original point about a class in stocks being more important than a class in Shakespeare. I wasn't trying to make a point about the merits of teaching him, it just reminded me of a funny story. Though I guess indirectly I was making that point because our Central Park man only knew of two famous plays. Still I'm sure there are enough people in the world aware of Shakespeare's merits. I'm not especially one of them.

I'm sorry to hear about your Sisters situation and I hope something gets sorted out quickly  Embarrassed.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace