Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 29, 2014, 02:06:36 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Unemployed and depressed
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Unemployed and depressed  (Read 2705 times)
Drake
liking it

« on: January 30, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »

We all know that the economy is bad and people are getting laid off every day, but lately there are some people who can't handle the pressure of being unemployed.  There have been a few stories in the news of people who have committed suicide after months of being let go from a job with a good salary and can no longer find a new job.  Chances are these people became depressed and saw no hope. 

It seems as though our society is crumbling.  What does our future hold for us?
Report to moderator   Logged
Pepper
liking it

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »

Yes, I have heard several people who are unemployed and have fallen into a deep depression.  In fact, not to long ago I heard in the news a medical technician killed his wife, five children, and himself after being unemployed for six months.  Obviously, he snapped and couldn't handle the stress of paying the bills and taking care of his family with no money coming in.  He probably felt like a failure.  To bad he didn't seek help, but I'm sure there are several other people who feel the same way as he did.  I suppose this is another problem people are facing along with not having a job...depression.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:03:57 PM »

Sadly I don't know what the answer to this is. Not with regards to suicide but general job wise I'm pretty nervous about a close family member of mine who has heard "rumours" at work at that there may be an "announcement" on Monday regarding redundancies. She works for a large American firm who have been making cutbacks in the States so I guess the chances of them making cutbacks over here is also highly likely. Difficult times.

stanford
liking it

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »

Hi Robin, What company does your cousin work for?  Is it a bank?  Hospital? Investment company?  Everyone seems to be downsizing. 

I think there should be a support group for all these people who are depressed and can't find a job.  People need to know that they are not alone and many others are int he same boat. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:27:23 AM »

Hey there. It's actually my Mother in Law. She works for a large American car hire company over here in England. She actually found out yesterday that her job is safe (for now at least) but many people in her office are going to be made redundant. She remains worried because this may be the first lot of job cuts but obviously they wouldn't tell them that. Again, difficult times these are.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »

Hey Robin, I'm very happy to hear that your mother-in-law still has a job, but I'm sure she's still worried that her job might be eliminated down the road.  That's one of the reasons why people are not spending money.  They are afraid they might not have a job tomorrow.  So if people are not spending money, companies are not making a profit and cut their labor force.  It's a ripple affect. 

As far as our future is concerned, I don't think the economy will change till 2012.  That's my prediction.  Any others?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:56:33 AM »

She sure is still worried I'm afraid. Day to day. She works in accounts and many departments have been centralised to the companies head office. Her and her accounts friends could be called in to "the office" any day now with the same news as her colleagues on Monday. All the accounts departments are going to be centralised, there's six of you and we only have a job for one, please apply. It's quite horrible and very scary. This may be stating the obvious but until this situation affects you in some way personally it's hard to understand what the fuss is about in many ways. Unemployment statistics are just that, statistics. It's when you really know somebody affected that it comes home.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:38:10 PM »

I honestly doubt things will get better before 2012 though I can't predict myself.
Betty
liking it

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »

Robin, I will keep your mother-in-Law in my prayers.  It's always scary when your job is unsecure. 

In addition, you alway here about others losing their job, but as you said.... when it's someone you know it has a deeper meaning.  You get to see them struggle to pay their bill, look for work, and go through the emotional pain with them.  I should know, my two brother in laws are out of work and neither one can find a job.  It's a horrible thing to expereince and I pray your mother-in-law doesn't fall victim to it either.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »

Thanks Betty  Smiley. I will do the same for your brothers in law.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace