Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 19, 2014, 10:33:30 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Do you remember your first pay check?
Pages: 1 [2]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Do you remember your first pay check?  (Read 4364 times)
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »

I agree about teenagers thinking they're adults before they are. For sure. I respectfully disagree about home schooling. I think it can (not always but it can) lead to a child not really knowing how the real world works. Still, each to his or her own and all that.
Report to moderator   Logged

lava
liking it

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »

I know someone who home schooled their children and they all turned out better, smarter than the average kids in school.  In fact, has anyone watched the national spelling Bee?  Some of the kids in this contest have been home schooled.  Did you know that? 

I think one of the benefits of being home schooled is the individual attention and children don't have to worry about peer pressure.  Of course, many of you may think children need to interact with other kids their age, but you can get this outside of school.  Just have you kid participate in after school events. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »

I guess if you're kids can participate to a certain degree. My fear is that they wouldn't be accepted and potentially bullied because of a variety of reasons. Maybe because they don't go to that school. Still, an interesting discussion. I'm just thinking out loud here really.

I can understand why people would want to home school their kids completely even if I probably wouldn't go down that route myself.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »

At first I was reluctant with the idea of home schooling children, but my thoughts have changed. 

Schools today are not the same when I was in school.  Kids can be really harsh and say things to one another that can damage their self esteem.  In addition, some of the teachers are not good and don't teach well.  If I had the time I would home school my kids. 

However, I understand your point of view Robin.  You don't want home schooled kids to be a misfit in society.  That could be a problem, but as long as you have a good support system at home and they make friends outside of school, and are active in the community by joining sports, dance classes, or participating in religious activities they should be fine.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »

I pretty much agree with everything you said here Betty. I still think I lean towards not home schooling but as a bit of a worrier myself about just about everything if me and Chelsea do have kids I know that I'll have to seriously sort my worry issues out or it would be hard to even send them off to school. Even if that school was the best in the country.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »

Robin, all parents want the best for their children.  It's very difficult in todays world to protect your child from the evils of society.

Has anyone heard of the high school shooting in Germany?  16 people died.  You think your sending your child to a safe environment to learn and another student comes into school with a gun and starts shooting people.  What's happening with our children?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 12:52:35 PM »

You're right.

I'm almost reluctant to mention this after mentioning Sicko yesterday and coming over as the world's biggest Michael Moore fan (which I am not) but his Oscar winning film 'Bowling For Columbine' (possibly his best film) looks at the school shooting (of course) in Columbine and is a fascinating look at the gun control laws in the US and around the World too. A judge just ordered some kids to write an essay on the film actually, I don't know if they were kids found with guns or kids who might have threatened to carry out such an attack or what but I found this an interesting twist. That the film is now being used as a preventative educational tool.

Wow I never thought I'd ever write a sentence that ended with the words "preventative educational tool".

Teddy
liking it

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 03:36:01 PM »

The Columbine school shooting started because two boys were being picked on in school.  Basically, they couldn't take the tormenting anymore and snapped by taking a gun to shot their fellow students.

When I was in 7th grade, I was once the victim of being laughed at and picked on by other students.  It's a terrible feeling.  Luckily, my experience only lasted 1-2 months, but if you experience this for a long period of time, you simply can't take it anymore and will think of ways to end the tormenting.  Of course, shooting is not a solution, but someone needs to stop kids from saying and doing nasty things to one another.  If you can't say or so these things at work or out in the real world, why let kids do this stuff in school.  What are we teaching them? 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 12:15:08 PM »

I agree with everything you wrote here Teddy. I think that someone has to be pretty unstable to even consider that option. I mean, I was bullied and picked on in school for a sustained period of time, though I never even considered doing anything like this. I just bunked off school because I didn't want to be there. In the film Moore looks at the society and culture of much of America and the violence that often pervades and under pins everything really. Foreign policy. People always want to blame something simple like violent movies or heavy metal music because they don't want to go deeper. Moore interviews Marilyn Manson in the film who was blamed by many right wing religious types. He gives one of the most reasonable and honest answers to the problem and totally de-bunks the myth of what people think he stands for.

Teddy
liking it

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »

Robin, you mention Moore.  I really have see these documentaries he did.  Do you think I can find them on youtube?  I am very interested to learn what Moore has to say and get his view on things.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 09:53:02 AM »

I just had a quick look and Sicko is there on YouTube in 12 individual parts but the quality seems not so good. I didn't really look for Columbine but it may be there in a similar format. You can probably get them online pretty cheap. For now and to perhaps wet your appetite here are links to the official trailers of both movies......

(Bowling For Columbine Trailer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSn5UEiovxo

(Sicko Trailer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BJyyyRYbSk

Pages: 1 [2]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace