Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 24, 2014, 07:40:52 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)How do you restore confidence in this economy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: How do you restore confidence in this economy?  (Read 9329 times)
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »

Robin, have you been following the stimulus plan that Obama is trying to pass?  Many people are concerned that his stimulus plan will not work and many are afraid the plan is only a temporary fix.  Any thoughts on this?
Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 01:05:51 PM »

I have been following it quite closely. I'm areal US politics junkie (which might come as no suprise to people here) and I watch the CBS evening news every day on CNBC and far too much FOX news in general. From what I've heard, as an outsider, it seems ok to me. It seemed Republicans liked it at first but then turned on it in unison with silly statements like "It's not a stimulas plan it's a spending plan." As Obama said in a speech last week, "What did you think a stimulas plan was if it wasn't a spending plan? That's the idea."

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »

All this money is coming from China anyway. I wonder how much of the USA China would own if they decided to call in the debts?

Anybody have a clue?
Teddy
liking it

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 06:32:44 PM »

I have no clue how much money the United States owes China.  What ever the amount, it doesn't look good for America.  The U.S. is suppose to be a super power who can manage their country without the help of others.  Right?  They're digging a hole and there is no way out. 

Sounds like Ameica is eventually going bankrupt.. Embarrassed
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »

Robin, many people are complainign that some of the items in the stimlus package have nothing to do with stimulating the economy.  Some of the items include giving money to Hollywood filmmakers and giving government officials for new cars.  How much stimulation will that give?

Here's some more:
$355 million for education on sexually transmitted diseases
$200 million to monitor earthquakes and volcanoes
$50 million for National Cemetery monument repairs
$200 million to repave the National Mall
$276 million for new computers at the State Department

This is why some people have a problem with the stimulus package.  What do you think?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »

I think that I don't really know enough about this to comment. That side I believe the things Republicans are complaining about make up less than 2% of the package so it seems the days of partisan politics are not over. I don't have a huge problem with the list below myself, I assume if the National Cemetery monuments need repairing or the National Mall repaving that people will be hired to do just that with that money. Therefore those bits count as job creating (or not job losing).

Still, I remain a non American so will always be an outsider looking in with an opinion. I just don't really have a problem with the things you listed.

Jenna
liking it

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 09:20:09 PM »

The problem many are having is some of these stimulus items will not fix the economy.  Sure, fixing the cemetery monuments might generate a few jobs, but how will this help in the long run.  Once the monuments are fixed, then what?  People will be back out of work.  It's only a short term fix.  The American economy is on the verge of a crisis. 

What many people don't understand is how we got in this situation.  It all started with the dot.com bubble.  When the dot.com bubble burst, government had to stimulate the economy so the focus was in real estate.  Now the real estate bubble burst and the economy is in a crisis. This time it's worse.  Everyone has an opinion on how to fix this, but I personally think none of them will work.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »

I guess it's very likely than none of these initiatives will work. We're all hoping, American or not I think, that this latest plan DOES work. Joe (The Gaffman) Biden said recently that there's a 30% chance this could all fail. I find myself almost quoting Obama when I say, to do nothing isn't an option. I agree. Everyone seems to feel that things will DEFINITELY get worse if the situation is left as it is. I guess all we can say is that they are trying to do something about so I remain positive that this package will create or save four million jobs as Obama also said recently.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »

But what does "$355 million for education on sexually transmitted diseases" have to do with stimulating the economy? 
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »

Hi Bob,

I agree with your statement, what does "$355 million for education on sexually transmitted diseases" have to do with stimulating the economy?

Many people feel the same way.  It appears as though some government officials have added their own "pork" into the package so they get their vote.  This is why government is corrupt and nothing ever gets done right. 

Another concern is we already bailed out the automakers with a previous bailout package.  They predict within this year, the same automakers will be back again for another bailout.  When will it stop?  I have my doubts on this new stimulus package.  Something else need to be done.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 12:08:33 PM »

The only thing I can say to this is, I assume, 355 million dollars will put many people to work. I mean I don't really know what this is for and that much money will go along way. Maybe many areas will be able to hire somebody to teach kids about this kind of thing. I understand many peoples uncertainty about this stimulus plan, and as I said yesterday I'm an outsider looking in with an opinion nothing more than that, but this package contains no "pork" in the traditional sense. Individual ear marks. John Mcain and his ilk keep saying this, as does Sean Hannity. They want to American public to be afraid of this when really the only thing they're actually arguing for is two thirds tax cuts one third spending when the Democrats want two thirds spending and one third tax cuts. Bill O Reilly has said several times that this bill contains no ear marks or park barrel spending. If O Reilly says that, it must be true. I understand that certain members have asked for certain things to be in the bill, but I believe that's very different to the traditional "pork" we heard so much about in the recent election.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »

I have no interest particularly in politics or trust in politicians. Time and time again they let themselves down and why should we believe a word they say? I know if Brown wanted to do this kind of thing over here I'd be dead against it. Are you really telling me 355 million dollars couldn't be better spent than on education for sexually transmitted diseases. That seems ridiculous.
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 09:34:17 PM »

Hi Robin, I'm very glad that you follow some of the commentators such as O'Reilly.  It's always interesting listening to another persons point of view on this topic. The latest news, is the stimulus plans looks like it will be passed and it might be signed by the president next week. 

I suppose many people are concerned that Government is creating a huge stimulus package that people such as myself will be paying for it.  It's a lot of money and when you're dealing with big figures, you want a guarantee that the program will work.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 01:28:26 PM »

I completely understand that you want a guarantee that this programme will work. That's the problem in that most people do and that's something they just can't give. Politically speaking I'm a liberal with a capital "L" but all I really watch is Fox news. I hate watching news shows that simply tell me what I already think I'd much rather be challenged. I never miss an episode of The Factor and I used to LOVE Hannity & Colmes but now Colmes has gone Hannity by himself is a little hard to take. I usually watch that till I get so mad I have to switch it off. It usually takes around twelve minutes or less  Roll Eyes.

lava
liking it

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 05:09:57 PM »

I watch some those programs too.  I enjoy watching Hannity.  He has some interesting comments on the stimulus package and Oboma.  Along with Hannity, I watch Bill O'Reilly.  Basically, I'll watch anything that talks about the news or current events. 

Hey does anybody watch Rush Limbaugh? Actually I listen to him on the radio quite often.  Some people hat him and others like him.  He adds an interesting twist to the economy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace