Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

August 27, 2014, 07:57:43 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Happiest Employees Work For Small Businesses
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Happiest Employees Work For Small Businesses  (Read 1020 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: January 27, 2009, 11:06:24 AM »

Employees in small businesses are the most satisfied at work, new statistics have revealed.

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) has backed a report on satisfaction levels in the UK workplace by the Trades Union Congress (TUC) this week.

While the TUC highlighted the low morale amongst one in four of the UK’s workforce, the poll run by YouGov for the TUC also revealed the high levels of satisfaction amongst employees of small businesses.

The ‘What Workers Want’ survey of 2,500 employees included over 600 who work in the UK’s smallest businesses.

As well as the highest job satisfaction rate (21% strongly agreeing and 41% tending to agree), small business employees were also the most committed (64% ) and loyal (58%) to their organisations.

Employees in small firms also felt most engaged by their employer and reported the most freedom to choose their working patterns. There were also far fewer reports of bullying in small businesses; lower stress levels and less complaints about long working hours.

John Wright, FSB National Chairman, said:

“We are concerned that 6 million people are unhappy in work, but the TUC figures suggest that 18 million are happy, the vast majority of which appear to be in small firms. In terms of the way they treat their staff, small businesses consistently out perform their bigger competitors. The figures really do speak for themselves, but they aren’t surprising.

Mr Wright continued, “Small business owners know their greatest asset is their staff and they are far more likely to treat them as individuals and recognise their needs. By having a committed and loyal work force that has a say in how the organisation is run, the smallest business has a bigger advantage.

Mr Wright concluded, “We are really pleased to see these figures which bust many of the myths around small business employment. We thank the TUC for their enlightening study which comes ahead of their annual conference next week in Brighton.”
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:41:39 PM »

This is interesting and as can often be the case in an individuals circumstances I'm right in the middle. I've only worked for two small companies. One (I was just talking about in another topic) I was deeply unhappy about and hated going to work and the other I couldn't be happier with. I guess it's great to have contact and a relationship with your employer, I think that goes a long way. When I was at BT there was simply a long line of managers running all the way up to more managers. Terrific structure but one could often feel as though one was a tiny insignificant cog in a fairly well oiled machine. Given the choice I would always work for a smaller employer than a large one.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »

I work for quite a large employer and though I'm looking for a new job I'm no or less happier here than when I worked for two people a few years ago. I think it depends on the people you're responsible to not the size of the company.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace