Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9183 Posts in 2296 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 20, 2017, 02:53:51 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Working Vacation Or A Vacation From Work?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Working Vacation Or A Vacation From Work?  (Read 1090 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: January 17, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »

Half of UK workers are still in touch with the office on their summer hols....but not as often as our European neighbours

Monster has found that over half of UK workers make themselves available to work during their holidays.

Monster Meter recently asked 938 workers in the UK "How much do you work while on vacation?" and the overall results revealed the following:

47% (448 votes) Not at all, that's what holidays are for
22% (201 votes) I occasionally check emails and phone messages 16% (150 votes) I make myself available for emergencies only
15% (139 votes) I never really stop working

However contrary to the popular stereotype UK workers are working less on holiday than their European neighbours. According to the poll, workers in France and Spain are the most likely to work while on holiday, with 32% in both countries saying that they ‘never really stop working'. While workers in the Netherlands, and Germany are similar to the UK and find it easier to switch off, with 52% and 45% respectively, making the most of their vacation time to take a break.

Around 45% of workers across the globe maintained some sort of contact with work during their holidays, be it making themselves available during emergencies, or checking their messages.

"Employees should be encouraged to make the most of their holiday time so they can come back to work refreshed, relaxed and raring to go," said Julian Aqcuari, CEO, Monster UK and Ireland. "Taking time away from work not only refreshes your batteries, but it gives you the opportunity to step back and make sure you're really getting what you want from your career."

You can also make the first steps by considering the following questions:

- How much progress have you made at work since the last time you were on holiday?
- What has gone well and what not so well?
- How contented/challenged/excited have you been?
- What aspects of your job would you like to change?
- What could you tweak that would make a real difference to your overall performance and satisfaction?
- What do you really want from your career and how close are you to achieving it?
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:16:39 PM »

When I'm on holiday I certainly want to check my personal emails and Facebook but I haven't had a job that would mean having to check work emails from being away. I don't think I'd want to really. I can understand people that perhaps own companies or that level of management but just your average Joe? If there is such a thing/person? Well I'd not want to be thinking about work whilst away.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:16:30 PM »

The last thing I think about is work when I'm on my hols and even if I did have a job where I could check work emails I wouldn't.

No chance.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace