Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 31, 2014, 06:34:32 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Does The UK Need A New Bank Holiday?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Does The UK Need A New Bank Holiday?  (Read 1521 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: January 13, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »

While the economy might not be what it was six months ago when this piece was written the thoughts in the piece are certainly still up for debate.
--------------------
The TUC is calling for a new autumn holiday to celebrate the great British tradition of volunteering.

The Callaghan Government introduced the May Day bank holiday on 1 May 1978. As people across the UK celebrated the extra day off work, the Bee Gees were top of the charts with Night Fever, Nottingham Forest were on the way to winning the First Division and a pint of bitter cost just 40p.

But while the worlds of football and music have moved on, the UK's bank holiday allocation has been left behind. No new bank holidays have been introduced since 1978, leaving Britain with just eight, the second lowest in Europe.

The TUC believes that a new bank holiday would help repay employees and workers for their part in building the UK's economic success. The real value of the economy has doubled since 1978, but wages have not kept pace. If today's workers had the same share of the economy that went to wages in 1978, they would each have an extra £2,339 per year - easily enough to pay for another bank holiday.

The TUC, along with leading voluntary organisations, want a new Community Day bank holiday in late October to celebrate and encourage volunteering and community activity.

TUC General Secretary Brendan Barber said: 'We've gone thirty years without a new bank holiday and the UK is now languishing behind the rest of Europe. People are crying out for a new bank holiday, a call that politicians should be listening to.

'A new bank holiday would give everyone much-needed time with friends and family. Timing it around late October would also create a welcome pit-stop to break the gruelling four-month stint between the August bank holiday and the Christmas break.

'But a new bank holiday should not just be a day off work, it should be a special day that brings the nation together. What better cause for us all to celebrate than our great British tradition of volunteering.'
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 02:14:34 PM »

I remember reading some time ago about a campaign for a bank holiday around remembrance day. The cynic in me thought, how could any Government turn down such a request with it being to commemorate remembrance day? I don't know if that's the same campaign as this but I agree the UK could definitely do with a bank holiday somewhere between the end of August and the end of December.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:06:01 PM »

Another bank hol for England and the UK would be fantastic. Where can I sign the petition?
Gota
having fun

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »

I agree to some degree with this idea, though haven't heard it mentioned before so don't know how popular an idea this is?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »

A few months ago I saw a prominent minor celebrity (not that prominent because I can't remember who it was) at the end of This Week or The Daily Politics (BBC TV shows) talking about it so there must be some campaign of some sort. Call me a cynic but I would've thought with an election just around the corner (well, kind of) and the Labour Governments popularity slowly rising again that now would be a perfect time to announce a new UK bank holiday. Well, maybe six months before the election anyway.

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:18:45 PM »

It may be too late for a petition as there has been one already and it's closed.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/remembermonday/
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 08:55:10 AM »

Thanks for the link.

I found this there which seems like the idea's being considered.
--------------------
More than 500,000 people have signed this petition, and we are grateful to you all for taking the time to do so.

Your support is a clear sign of the strength of feeling across the United Kingdom that we must do more as a country to recognise the contribution of our Armed Forces, and in particular those who have died or been injured in the service of their country.

The Government recently published The National Recognition Study, undertaken by Quentin Davies MP, which looks at the ways in which the Government, other institutions and the country as a whole can do more to recognise the service of our Armed Forces and Veterans.

One of its recommendations was the institution of a special British Armed Forces and Veterans Day, which would complement the events held around Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday in November to commemorate those who have fallen in the service of our country.

These proposals are being given careful consideration by the Government, alongside other representations we have received to institute a new ‘British Day’, and as part of these deliberations, we will of course examine the case for introducing a new public holiday.

There is considerable debate amongst supporters of a new special public holiday to remember our Armed Forces and Veterans or our fallen servicemen about when in the year such a day should take place.

While there are a very large number of people - including signatories to this petition - who believe the Monday after Remembrance Sunday is the best option, there are others - including the Royal British Legion - who do not support that proposal, because they are concerned that a public holiday then would not be in keeping with the solemnity and special status of the Remembrance Sunday commemorations.

Quentin Davies MP has suggested holding the new day close to the current Veterans’ Day at the end of June, while others have suggested holding the day to coincide with the anniversaries of the D-Day Landings in early June or of V.E. Day in early May.

We greatly appreciate your contribution to this ongoing debate, and whatever the final outcome, we hope that all signatories to this petition will see that we have very much taken on board their desire to see much greater national recognition for our Armed Forces.

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »

After reading that Government statement it seems very complicated. I guess "how complicated can it be" springs to mind but I had no idea that there would be objection to a new bank holiday the day after remembrance Sunday because it might take something away from that day. I still think if this happens it will be announced in the next year. Certainly before May 2010 at the latest  Roll Eyes.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 01:57:28 PM »

It's a shame the petition is now closed  Angry.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace