Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 30, 2014, 06:52:38 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Where Did All The Jobs Go?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Where Did All The Jobs Go?  (Read 1181 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: January 10, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »

Below is an older news article from about six months ago. In another discussion we were talking about people with disability's in the work place. With that in mind I thought this might provoke some more discussion.

Plus the last line of the article I found very ironic:

"There are currently 678,500 vacancies in the UK, so there are jobs out there for anyone who wants one."

How things change in six or eight months.
--------------------
The poorest, most disabled people in society will be given more financial support from the Government, while other disabled and long-term ill people who could work will get greater help to find employment, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions James Purnell said today.

The announcement was made as regulations finalising plans to replace Incapacity Benefits (IB) in Great Britain for all new and repeat claimants with the new work-focused Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) were laid in Parliament today.

The move marks the next major phase in implementing the Government's radical welfare reform programme and getting one million people off IB by 2015.

Mr Purnell also revealed for the first time how much money people on ESA will get. The new rates of payment will mean extra support to the poorest, most disabled members of society.

Mr Purnell said:'Gone are the days when writing a sick note is writing people off for life. ESA will give more financial support to the poorest, most disabled people in society whilst extending the opportunity of employment to all those who can work.

'For those who can work, today's measures are a key cultural shift in the benefit system which puts work at the heart of support.
'Work is the best route out of poverty and gives people independence over their lives - we want to help them to help themselves.'

From October this year, all new and repeat claimants will undergo the Work Capability Assessment (WCA) - a new medical test designed to look at what people can do rather than what they cannot. ESA claimants will then be split into two groups, depending on the outcome of the assessment:

* The 'Work-related activity group': Those claimants who pass the assessment and are identified as capable of taking part in some form of work-related activity will be entitled to claim ESA at a rate of 84.50 pounds a week. They will be required to attend work-focused interviews through the pioneering Pathways to Work scheme, to help them overcome their barriers to work and support them into long-term sustainable employment. Those who don't fulfil these conditions without a good reason could have their ESA partially cut.

* The 'Support Group': Those identified as not able to take part in any work- related activity (the most severely disabled group) will not be expected to take part in work-focused activities unless they want to, but will not face any sanctions. We are targeting more resources to the poorest in this group with a guaranteed income of 102.10 pounds a week (17.60 pounds more than the long-term rate of Incapacity Benefit), while everyone else in this category will receive a minimum of 89.50 a week.

All people claiming ESA may also continue to be eligible for other benefits, such as Disability Living Allowance and Housing and Council Tax Benefit.

Those who do not qualify for ESA can instead apply for Jobseeker's Allowance and will be expected to take part in the work-focused interviews and programmes to help them get back to work.

The main changes to the current system of incapacity benefits announced in the regulations are:

* A move away from an inactive benefit to an active benefit which takes away incentives to stay on benefit for a long period of time. At the moment the amount of money someone gets goes up after six months and then again after one year.

* Removal of the 'age addition' which gives more money to people who start their claim before they are 45 - taking away another outdated incentive to stay on incapacity benefit for a long time.

* Medical assessments to be conducted much sooner - within 13 weeks - helping to prevent people from falling into benefit dependency. Those who need it receive support much faster and those who are able to work get the help they need to get back into the workplace.

* A simpler benefit - people will apply for just one benefit instead of the current system where they either claim Incapacity Benefit or Income Support on grounds of incapacity, or even a combination of both.

The changes will build on the success that has already been made over the last ten years - claimant unemployment count is at its lowest level for 32 years, there is record employment and there are now more than one million fewer people on out-of-work benefits. The most recent statistics showed that there are currently 678,500 vacancies in the UK, so there are jobs out there for anyone who wants one.
Report to moderator   Logged

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:49:15 PM »

That is ironic. Some months ago there were plenty of jobs to go around. Allegedly. That wouldn't be the Government spinning to make it sound that way would it I'm sure they would never do that. How did this "crisis" happen so quickly and why did no one see it coming? We've gone from, all the jobs people need, a few months ago to this great disaster zone now.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »

I assume certain powers knew this was coming but like many people I don't understand fully why this happened and so quickly. The Government would never say hard times are around the corner even if they knew that to be the case.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »

Mr Obama says that's the kind of leader he's going to be. He just made an announcement about how bad things are with the US deficit and how they're going to get a lot worse. I guess at this stage he doesn't need to "please" the electorate and therefore can paint a gloomy yet realistic picture of how things are. If you paint that picture when it's perceived to be your fault then you, obviously, will be blamed and potentially not elected the next time around.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:41:57 PM »

Hi Robin.  Ya Obama is explaining that the economy will get much worse before it gets better.  Here in the U.S. many analysts predict that the economy will turn around in the year 2012.  There seems to be so many companies here in the U.S. laying people off from work. 

Even in my family, I have a brother in law that has been looking for work since April and hasn't found anything.  I also have a sister and a brother who were recently laid off from work.  It seems to be an epidemic that is affecting everyone in all industries of employment.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:20:58 PM »

I think he's getting hammered by the right wing press who say he is fear mongering. There's a fine line between fear mongering and telling the truth. Thankfully for the moment Mr Obama will be perceived to be on the truth side by most people. Though cynically I bet he hopes the economy at least recovers by 2011 as that will give him a good run into the 2012 Presidential campaign.

I hope things look up for your sister, brother and brother in law and that they find something soon. Being unemployed is no fun. I've been there and done that  Sad.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:22:48 PM by forum admin » Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace