Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 23, 2014, 04:04:01 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Do Men Work Longer Hours Than Women?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Do Men Work Longer Hours Than Women?  (Read 1021 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: January 08, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »

Below is another older news article that I thought might provoke some discussion. I've made a few comments at the bottom.
--------------------
Men work longer hours than women in the workplace. New Research shows the working week is half a day longer than it was five years ago.

Employees are spending half a day more in work than back in 2002, and a day more than they did a decade ago according to new research released today by Peninsula the employment law firm. Figures also show that men work longer hours than women in the workplace. 'On average we work half a day more than we did five years ago and almost a day more than a decade ago.' said Alan Price, Head of HR Business Practice at Peninsula. 'Flexible working is not something that is evident in our figures; it seems that the working week is getting longer with an increase in people spending more time at work.'

The Peninsula research shows that 36 percent of employees work in excess of 48 hours per week. 96 percent of those do so out of choice. In 1997 only 26 percent of those polled worked over 48 hours and 30 percent in 2002.

'Working longer hours can put a strain on personal life and its ideal if businesses can offer increased flexibility working. However this may be easier for larger companies to implement but not necessarily the case for smaller firms who will struggle to juggle staff and labour costs and ensure productivity is not compromised. However the myth that employers force their staff to work longer hours should be dismissed as people do so out of choice.'

Mr Price continues, 'The issue of working longer hours affects workers across the board from the high flyers i.e. managers, professionals and workers in lower pay grades. The increase in longer working hours is primarily due to the increased use of overtime both paid and unpaid. Paid overtime is most commonly found amongst manual occupations whilst it is most common amongst professional workers to work overtime unpaid. This lends support to the view that managers and professional staff work long hours in expectation of higher earnings in the future.'

'Where possible employers should try to adopt family-friendly working time measures such as flexi-time, emergency family leave and part-time work. Importantly employers should monitor the number of hours worked to ensure staff do not work excessive hours.' explains Mr Price.
--------------------
Is this true in YOUR experience?

Does the sex of an employee even make a difference in whether they work longer than another?

I'd love to read peoples thoughts on this.

Report to moderator   Logged

Gota
having fun

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »

This makes for an interesting read. I certainly agree that managers and company owners will usually put more hours in. I try hard not to stay longer than I need to but if I do five minutes here or ten minutes there I can take a few extra minutes on a break the following day. It's reasonably flexible here so it doesn't bother me. As far as men doing more than women? I think statistics can say anything I certainly don't think that's the norm.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace