Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 26, 2014, 02:51:29 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)What to tell my future employers?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What to tell my future employers?  (Read 3951 times)
Pepper
liking it

« on: October 13, 2007, 09:56:21 AM »

I was wondering if I should tell potential employers that I am currently in school working towards a masters degree.  My concern is they may feel going to school and working at the same time may affect m performance at work.  They may also feel that I will not stay long with the company once I receive my diploma.  For this reason they may decide not to hire me.  Do you think is true?  Any suggestions on what I should do?
Report to moderator   Logged
Delta
just starting

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:20:11 AM »

I think you should be honest when looking for a job and tell your potential employer that you are working towards a masters degree.  Chances are they will consider this to be an asset and not a liability.  To me, knowing that someone is getting their masters degree indicates you are ambitious, hard working, dedicated, and eager to learn new things.  I would definitely not use your education against you.  If a company does consider your higher education a hindrance, than this is not the right company to work for.
misch.chief
just starting

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »

Honesty is the best policy and it shows you are a hard worker!
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:51:07 AM »

I definitely think you should tell them. Reassure them that you won't let it affect your work and that you're capable of juggling both without buckling under pressure. Working toward your Master's is a great thing, so it should work to your advantage, not really hinder you, as long as you're up front about what you're doing, both to your employer and to yourself.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »

I guess it also depends on the jobs you're looking for. If it's a position in a call centre or something where they often have a high turnover of staff it might be better not to say. If it's a company you may want to stay with after getting your Masters then it can only help I would imagine?
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »

Personally I would always divulge this kind of information. I think it can only help with a job search.
lava
liking it

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 07:28:24 AM »

This can be tricky.  If you tell them the truth, a company my see this as being ambitious and you might be able to use the skills you develop in school to better help the company.  However, a company might see you as someone who is temporary and has no intentions of staying long with the company. 

My suggestion is to determine what you true intentions are.  meaning, how long do you want to work for the company?  If there is a chance the company would promote you over time, would you be willing to stay?  This is what you need to decide.
Human Resources Philippin
just starting

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 09:09:22 AM »

For some reasons those are true. They may decide whether they will or will not keep you because you still doesn't have your full time and dedication in your career yet. They may see you as an asset in the future or may look at you as a liability. Everything still depends on your performance. You must show them that you can adopt with anything and can still manage your time even finding it hard to manage. Let them know that you are a very hardworking person and show them how serious you are in obtaining that position no matter what it takes.

hr consulting philippines
Staffing Agency Makati
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace