Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 18, 2014, 09:03:40 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreYour experiences (Moderator: HireScoresMark)What would you have done differently?
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What would you have done differently?  (Read 6383 times)
Sunny
liking it

« on: January 03, 2009, 08:12:28 PM »

Looking back, I don't think I've had to do that many 'awful' jobs, even though I didn't really enjoy them, but I know others have. What's the worst job you've ever done? Was it worth it or did you gain experience that's proven valuable now?

Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »

I was just writing in another discussion about awful shifts I had to do for the first taxi company I worked for. Truly awful. That was the worst job I've ever had and I hope I can take what I learned into the future. What I learned about being treated and certainly how I should be treated. My employer there was a little testy to say the least.

Teddy
liking it

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »

My theory in life is all experiences teach you something about life or about yourself.  These experiences can be good or bad. 

I have worked in a few places in my career and one that sticks out was working for a hospital where I handled patients accounts.  Usually you don't get to know the patients, but this one person was dying from cancer and she was very concerned that her family would not have the burden of any medical bills upon her death.  Together we made sure all bills were properly taken care of in an efficient manner. 

This experience made me feel good that I was able to help someone during this difficult time.  I never got to meet this person, but this experience has made me appreciate life and I will make the effort to help someone in their time of need because you never know when it could be you.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 02:16:56 PM »

I agree that experiences are there to be learned from. Usually we learn more from the bad experiences or mistakes we make than things that are going great...if we want to of course. I think the learning curve needs to be embraced. That or bitterness can sink in.

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »

I have never really had any jobs that have been awful. Well, my paper round when I was 13 was pretty bad, getting up at 6 every day and riding around on my bike in the rain just wasn't worth those 8! I think that any job is a worthwhile experience, even if it is just to tell you that you don't want to pursue that career path!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 12:09:23 AM »

True.

I have many career paths that I know I do not want to follow.

Spinner
liking it

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »

I had a friend that worked in a fast food restaurant.  She used to tell me how terrible the meat looked when it was delivered and would never eat there.  That was a job she hated and it made her think differntly of fast food.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »

One thing I've never done actually is work in a fast food restaurant. I don't think I ever could to be honest for a variety of different reasons.

Timber
liking it

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »

fast food restaurants are very bad for your health.  If an employee of the restaurant is suspicious of the food, chances are it's not good.  I personally try to stay away from fast food, but sometimes it's hard to do when you're hungry and want something quick to eat. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »

Exactly on your last point. If you're in town and want something relatively cheap to eat fast food is sadly the best bet. I try and stick with Subway as I think they're better for you than something fried but still, so full of salt.

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 07:33:25 PM »

I'm the same, Subway's the only fast food I can eat really. I don't think I could ever work in a fast food restaurant, it would make my hair smell and would be terrible for my skin, (I know, how girly of me, but it's true!!)
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 04:12:39 PM »

When you go ino BK or Maccy D's on a busy day and see those kids stressing out and running around trying to get orders together? I don't mean to diss them but I could never work in a place like that. Subway maybe but still, dealing with those awkward people, "no I didn't say tomato did I?" would be too taxing for me. Give me a call centre with horrible customers any day. At least I can sit down.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »

I too would probably last 42 minutes if I worked in a McDonald's or other fast food outlet BK/KFC kind of place.

I respect the people that work in those places very probably for minimum wage too. Hot, stressful, busy...I couldn't.

Sunny
liking it

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »

If you work in a fast food restaurant, do they give their employees any special discounts if they eat their food?  Do they at least give them free drinks?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:09:22 PM by forum admin » Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 02:23:09 PM »

I'm probably the wrong person to answer this but I'm fairly sure if you work in McDonald's or Subway you're allowed to eat whatever (within reason I'm sure) you want for lunch.

Or if that's not true you certainly should be able to.

Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace