Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 25, 2014, 01:33:28 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreYour experiences (Moderator: HireScoresMark)What's the worst job you've done?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What's the worst job you've done?  (Read 2897 times)
Chevy
liking it

« on: January 03, 2009, 08:09:55 PM »

Looking back, I don't think I've had to do that many 'awful' jobs, even though I didn't really enjoy them, but I know others have. What's the worst job you've ever done? Was it worth it or did you gain experience that's proven valuable now?
Report to moderator   Logged
Timber
liking it

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:54:23 AM »

My worst job was working the night shift in a factory.  I hated going to work at night and coming home in the daylight tired.  My cycle was totally off and it took a long time to regain a normal persons sleeping pattern.  I will never work the night shift again!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »

I think my worst job shift wise was the first taxi company I worked for. For my sins I worked for two. The shifts were Mon: 8-4, Wed 0-8, Thur 0-8, Fri 8-4 and Sunday 8-4. Allegedly Thursday was a day off though I finished at 8am Thursday and was in again at 8am Friday so I had to sleep twice somehow in a 24 hour period. That never seemed like time off. I had a Saturday off and after I finished at 4pm on a Monday I wasn't in till midnight Tuesday night/Wednesday morning so that time seemed like time off but not very nice as I had to stay up as late as I could Monday to re-adjust to nights. My sleep pattern as you'd expect was all over the place and horrible. I'm confused just writing about it.

Nights I possibly wouldn't mind again but only if it was all nights and not a mixture of days and nights. That was truly awful.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »

I was a part time cleaner once and despite what people might think it was one of the best jobs I've had. The people were great and I built up real friendships with them.

The worst think I did was nights in a petrol station. I agree that nights can really throw you.
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »

Wow, that's terrible Robin. I had a similar experience with never feeling like I had a day off. I worked at a small office that was open 24-7, and our shifts were only 3 hours long. That doesn't seem bad, but it meant constantly going in for a few hours, so I might work 3-6am, and then noon-3 and 6-9. It was ideal to try to get shifts that were back to back, but that didn't usually happen, so I was in and out all the time and never felt like I had normal days.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 01:59:07 PM »

I couldn't do that Mary. That also sounds terrible. I actually worked for two taxi companies and the last one (which was actually the main rival of the first) offered me fantastic shifts at first. They soon changed as shifts in a taxi office invariably do. I did two 8 hour days on a Thurs & Fri & two 10 hour days Sat & Sun. That way I was doing just about a full time week in four days. 

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:18:23 PM »

The shifts you do really can make a job great or awful. I get two days off per week but they're always different. Occasionally they will be together but that's rare. Our day is split up into quite a few breaks so it's more bearable. I don't want to sound like I dislike my job, it's ok, I've said here before, I'm just ready for a change.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »

The worst job I've ever done was during college delivering pizzas. I admire anybody who can work in the food industry in whatever capacity because the stress we used to get, stuck in traffic with a clock ticking or a free meal, was quite unbearable. All for a very minimal wage too.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 06:55:45 PM »

I once worked as a kitchen assistant in an elderly community. It was very rewarding but it's put me off washing pots even to this day. That was practically all I did. Wash pots, prepare vegetables and clean.
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 06:06:42 AM »

One time I worked in a concession stand selling hamburgers and hot dogs to people.  I was instructed to yell out "Get your hot dogs and hamburgers here!"  I'd yell out anything to get people's attention so they'd come over.  Sometimes I would work in the cold weather, which was horrible so I eventually left. 
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace