Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 18, 2014, 12:34:36 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)What makes a business "pop"?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What makes a business "pop"?  (Read 2785 times)
Jenna
liking it

« on: December 30, 2008, 04:40:49 AM »

I have been doing a lot of shopping during the holiday and I began to examine what certain stores do to get people to buy from them and keep customers coming back for more. 

Of course, some of the most obvious business strategies is offering sales, but are there any other things to get customers in the door?  Has anyone noticed what stores or businesses have done to make you buy? 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:17:29 PM by Jenna » Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »

I think whilst a lot of shops have store cards which may have some kind of reward or points system attached that never attracts me as it's basically a credit card.

The separate rewards things certainly DO work with me. Even my local fish and chip shop have started offering this. A card that they stamp every time you spend a certain amount of money and when you have so many stamps you get a free meal to that cash equivalent.

In these difficult financial times "every little helps" to coin a very good advertising slogan. If we are going for fast food (which is quite rare) why not go for that shop because at least we'll get something back soon enough.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:16:54 PM by Jenna » Report to moderator   Logged

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 06:10:22 PM »

Great value for money is my primary reason for re-visiting a store. Plus when you get to know the staff and they welcome you like a friend it's almost impossible not to pop in even when you don't feel the urge to buy goods.
Report to moderator   Logged
Greg
liking it

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:57:50 PM »

My Favorite store is Walmart.  The reason why I love this store is because their prices are the lowest of all the other stores in the area.  In addition, they have everything there I need.  I can shop for food, clothing, electronics, bedding, hand bags, toys, garden supplies, and much more.  What other store offers cheap prices and everything you need in one store? 
Gota
having fun

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 11:02:51 AM »

Woolworths over here was a bit like Walmart I think. I haven't visited the States but that's the impression I get.

It's closing now thanks to the recession.

True British heritage that will soon be gone forever.
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »

I like when stores have sales associates around the store, asking if you need help, etc. It can get annoying if there are tons of them, but it's really nice to have someone available to answer my questions without having to go all the way up to the front of the store and wait in in checkout line, just to ask where something is or if they carry a product.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »

I find (or maybe it's just when I need one) that there's never enough sales staff to help. I buy shoes in a particular cut price shop and am a size 13 so nearly always need to ask "do you have these in my size?" But usually have to hunt around the store to find somebody to ask. I then find myself getting aggravated and wonder why I can't be more patient. I don't know if it's a British thing, a sign of the "fast food culture" that we live in or just me being in patient. Probably the latter.

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »

I think if you go into a store and want to buy something there should be a sales assistant ready to help you. If not you're likely to leave and purchase elsewhere and your preferred choice of store will have just lost a customer.
lava
liking it

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 06:14:17 AM »

I like businesses that go out of their way to please their customers.  For example, if you go to a restaurant and the waitress makes sure your drinks are full, your meal is warm, and comes over to see if there anything they can do for you. 

I like that treatment and I'm sure others do to.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »

That's actually something that often goes unnoticed but people would certainly notice if that didn't happen. Sometimes when a waitress/waiter for example comes over and asks if everything is ok or if there's anything she or he can get you it can feel almost like an intrusion.

Like at the end of a phone call to telephone banking where you get the usual, is there anything else I can help you with today question. I'd say if you're on the phone then you're going to ask and the question is mute.

Spinner
liking it

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 07:55:36 PM »

I like stores who have a fast return policy with no questions asked.  This feature comes in handy when you have to return gifts from the holidays.  Some of my returns don't have a receipt or were open.  The store that I went to return my items was Walmart.  The girl quickly scanned the items and returned my money quickly and efficiently.  I appreciate this!
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace