Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 02, 2014, 05:22:05 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)What is the difference looking for jobs today verses 20 years ago?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What is the difference looking for jobs today verses 20 years ago?  (Read 2316 times)
Greg
liking it

« on: November 06, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »

Today the job market has changed.  My parents always tell me things were much different when they were looking for a job.  Sometimes when I listen to them, their era seems so much simpler and easier. 

Does everyone think jobs were easier to find 20 years ago or has it gotten better?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:39:03 AM by Greg » Report to moderator   Logged
Spinner
liking it

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:38:11 PM »

When my parents were younger, many people used to work factory jobs and stayed there till they retired.  The pay was great and it was a good place to work if you didn't have an education.  You were making enough money to buy a house and support your family, but today factory jobs are going over seas.  The terrible economy has caused several people to be concerned that they might be laid off.  No one stays at their job for 20-30 years anymore.  Job security is gone and people are constantly worried about their job being there next week.  Today is a terrible time to be in the job market.
Report to moderator   Logged
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:37:42 AM »

In today's job market, everyone is afraid of being laid off, especially as we get closer to the end of the fiscal year.  It's usually around that time where companies  determine if they are making money or if they are in the red. 

Back 20 years ago, jobs were more plentiful, secure and the employment rate was low.  Jobs were all over and people where more happy in general.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace