Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 21, 2014, 09:23:45 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)On-line applications
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: On-line applications  (Read 10542 times)
Jenna
liking it

« on: October 15, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »

I have noticed that many companies provide applications on-line.  This seem to be a good idea because you can retrieve an application without having to go to the place to ask for an application.  However, one of my main concerns regarding on-line applications are those people who are not computer literate.  Of course, many people are, but there are still people who don't feel comfortable working on a computer and don't have the skill.  What about these people?  Are we discriminating against them? 
Report to moderator   Logged
Coultrane
liking it

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »

When I went to school, computers were in the beginning stages of its development.  It wasn't until I graduated that I had to learn how to navigate on-line.  It took awhile, but I finally learned. I still come across several people in my daily life who don't know how to navigate with a mouse or understand the on-line world, but they are excellent workers.  I would hire them in a minute, but for them to complete an on-line application requires the need of assistance.  If help is not there, chances are they will not apply.  A solution is to give these people a choice.  Some can choose to submit an application on-line and others can submit a written application. 
Chevy
liking it

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:04:21 AM »

In my experience, online applications are offered more for job positions that require employees to have computer knowledge, so it shouldn't make that much difference.

Outside of that, I've seen places like Wal-Mart switch entirely to an automated electronic system, but it's something in-store and very basic. Computers are becoming a necessary part of our lives, it seems, so if someone wants a job bad enough, I see no problem requesting them to go that step of doing it online. 
Tomtom
settling in

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:36:59 AM »

Last week I was helping my sister look for a job.  She is not computer literate, but needed my help because many of the places that she wanted to put an application required that she complete the job application on their "in house" computer.  So I went with her and together we completed the application on the computer.  While I was helping her, there was a older man, about 58 years old who also needed help completing the job application on the computer.

I realize, some will say, we are in the computer era and computers simplify things, but I can't help but feel sorry for these people who are unfamiliar with a computer. 

Another thing that concerns me, is the job that my sister and this older man were applying for was to stock shelves in the store and help the cashiers bag groceries. There is no computer knowledge required to bag groceries or put out stock.  Chances are if they had computer knowledge, they'd apply for a different job where they can make more money and use their computer skills.  Right?  So why did they have on-line applications for simple jobs?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:45:50 AM »

I guess if a company has an online system for job applications that will apply for all roles whether the job is a computer based one or not.

I think because so many and indeed most people are computer literate and because it's probably easier for a company to receive applications for jobs in this way they simply do not think about the people that they probably are accidentally discriminating against.

I guess it all depends on the size of the company too. If it's a smaller firm the applicant may be able to ask somebody where as if it's a big corporation systems will be set into stone.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »

I agree. In ours nothing could be done about it because the higher ups who make the decisions on these kinds of things are locked away in London's HQ so nobody at our level of management could help. It just has to be done that way and that's that.

Though to work here you have to be computer literate anyway so it wouldn't make so much of a difference.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:59:18 PM by Robin Tetley » Report to moderator   Logged
Gota
having fun

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »

Bob even to clean your place of work you have to be computer literate?

I bet there are some jobs in every computer or IT based workplace that do not need computer skills.

Like I mentioned cleaning staff? Catering staff perhaps?

Do these people still have to apply online?
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:10:47 PM »

I hadn't thought of this. I don't know about the canteen staff but the cleaners are hired by an outside agency therefore they don't work for us but for another company. I might ask the canteen people next time I'm down there. They're very cool people and some of the nicest here.
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 06:06:29 PM »

I think that in most jobs now some exposure to computers is required, so having the application process online seems like a good idea. I assume it also makes the process more secure, and applications are less likely to be misplaced. The applications that I have filled out online have always been fairly straight forward, but whether that is because I'm already computer literate, I'm not sure. I do think it would be better if they offered both paper and electronic applications though, as the employers themselves may be missing out on a hard working candidate!
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 02:49:51 PM »

Particularly NHS online applications are wonderful and the system remembers your previous answers therefore if you apply for a few you don't have to go through the pain of re-writing (or re-typing) your basic details like name etc. Usually I've found all that needs to be changed is the supporting information on why you feel you would be good for the vacant job.
Jonicode
just starting

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 05:45:22 PM »

I have noticed that many companies provide applications on-line.  This seem to be a good idea because you can retrieve an application without having to go to the place to ask for an application.  However, one of my main concerns regarding on-line applications are those people who are not computer literate.  Of course, many people are, but there are still people who don't feel comfortable working on a computer and don't have the skill.  What about these people?  Are we discriminating against them? 

No. Or at least I hate to think so. Because on the brighter side, i believe it serves as a challenge for them to pursue computer literacy. Which in turn would benefit themselves.  Smiley

Cheers,
Joni
Resume Builder
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »

But if they are not computer literate they can not apply for certain jobs. Doesn't that seem unfair to you?
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 02:17:38 PM »

Surely it's just a sign of the times.

It's like saying it's unfair to people who can't drive to advertise driving jobs.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »

I agree that this is a sign of the times as you say though it's naturally going to leave some people out in the cold.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »

What kind of jobs are gonna be advertised online only that don't involve computer skills anyway?
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace