Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 23, 2014, 06:08:07 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Working hard, or hardly working?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Working hard, or hardly working?  (Read 3750 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: September 25, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »

Almost half of British workers waste around 1/3 of their day ‘pretending' to work and a massive 32% admit to wasting around 3 ¼ hours every day, on non-work related tasks. Surprisingly, 96% of respondents admitted to making rounds of tea or tidying desks to avoid doing work at some point throughout their day.

Recent statistics commissioned by HireScores.com, shows that the typical British worker wastes around 2 hours 20 minutes every day talking with work colleagues, chatting at the water cooler, making rounds of tea, tidying desks, sorting through filing cabinets and surfing the net.

Almost half of those surveyed spend 1/3 of their day on non-work related tasks and 32% admit to spending an average of 3 hours 15 minutes every day talking to colleagues and ‘pretending' to be busy. 96% of respondents admitted to doing unnecessary tasks to avoid doing work, at some point during their day.

This means that on average, employers are paying members of staff for almost 12 additional hours per week, about 45 hours per month and around 770 hours per year1. Or, paying staff for more than 1002 days per year, when they aren't completely focused on work.

Results from www.HireScores.com, the leading recruitment scoring website, found that 31% of workers began winding down at least 15 minutes before the end of their day; filling their final moments with shuffling paper and sorting their desk.

44% of respondents wouldn't start a new task or deal with a request that came in less than 20 minutes before home time and, in addition, 46% of those surveyed disclosed that they leave any mundane task till the very last minute to complete.

However, 68% of British workers did state that they would stay later at work if necessary; 39% of which, claim they do this at least once a week.

Lisette Howlett, Managing Director of HireScores.com said: "I am a firm believer that people work much more productively in a relaxed, friendly but highly focused atmosphere; however, to discover that people believe that they personally waste so many hours per year comes as a complete surprise."

Howlett continued: "I have always been dedicated to my work but admit to enjoying the odd natter every now and then. The number of people ‘pretending' to work is very concerning but those employees who complete their daily tasks and still manage to enjoy their time at work are sure to be the happiest."

The survey was completed by more than 3,000 British workers.

1 - Based on British workers working an average of 328 days per year with around 35 day's holiday (25 days of paid annual leave and 8 Bank holidays).
2 - The average person works 7.5 hours per day
Report to moderator   Logged

Greg
liking it

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:21:34 PM »

I once worked in an atmosphere where workers were forbidden to talk to one another.  Sure we could say a few words, but no lengthy dialog.  For me, it was terrible.  I couldn't get to bond with anyone and I felt as though I was in prison.  I can understand the manager wants employees to be productive all day long, but we are not machines!  We need interaction with others. 

As you can guess, the turn over was large.  No one stayed there longer than a year or two.
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »

Wasting over 3 hours of their work day, not working? 1/3 of the day?? That's just beyond me. Sure, I do things that aren't strictly work related sometimes or I'll socialize 'while' I'm working. There are days where I don't do quite as much work as I might have been able to, had I tried harder because it's "just one of those days," but definitely not on a regular basis. I don't know how people could waste away that much time.....or put so much effort into pretending they're actually working!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

I know a third of the day seems ludicrous.

And why waste time pretending you're working to avoid working?

I think if you get to that stage it's time to look for a new job quick.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »

With our not ready stats we couldn't waste time if we wanted to. And many people would want to. I guess they're working for somebody then Angry
Gota
having fun

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »

I agree that if you're actually making an effort to look like you're working to avoid working it's time to leave.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »

I think we talked about Facebook a little before but I wondered if people are allowed to look at it from work?

I think that would be a HUGE distraction and I know many employers have it banned.

I don't blame them really I know what a distraction it can be for me.

I have to be very regimented and only have brief looks throughout the day when I take breaks.

Are people on here in fact on Facebook?

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »

We can use the net at work, something we didn't use to be able to do but Facebook and other social networking sites are banned. To be honest many sites are we only have a limited number we can look at.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 07:32:19 PM »

Facebook is banned where I am but strangely you can look at MySpace.
Pepper
liking it

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 08:30:58 AM »

We have the internet at work, but it should only be used for work related issues.  I'm sure there is a way they can monitor your usage on the computer such as which web sites you were looking at, so it makes no sense to surf the web for personal use. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 06:00:21 PM »

It's a hard one this. On the whole I agree with you Pepper that you shouldn't use the net for personal things whilst at work. I guess it comes back to the article we were discussing in another strand here recently. About 30% of workers actually trying to look busy as a way of avoiding work. I think when you're at work you're clearly there, to work.

I worked in a taxi office a year or so ago and the entire job was to answer the phones and give drivers jobs over a radio. In between calls especially on the night shift I went online but I think that's different. It was in a sense whilst I was waiting for work to come in so I had nothing else to do.

Greg
liking it

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:20:23 AM »

I'll admit, if the internet is available at work, I will definitely be on it.  We all know there are times at work where your bored or want to do something else to take your mind off the stresses that go along with work.  For some, they use the internet.  Others will talk to co-workers or take a break that's a bit longer than your suppose to take.  We've all been there.  So what's the problem?  We all need something at work that's enjoyable.   
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »

People don't work for every second they are paid for it's as simple as that. Employers know this and so do managers and team leaders. I see plenty of our managers having long chats that are more than just about work stuff. If they can skive a little so can the rest of us.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »

Skive. I haven't heard that word since school.

In case there's anybody who isn't familiar with that vernacular it means to avoid work. Not the dictionary definition which is:

"to split or cut, as leather, into layers or slices."

Though in the US I think the slang word for skiving is to cut school so I guess that's where it came from.

Interesting.

Or not  Undecided.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace